Wings

Warnings: angsty, mentions of death, slight violence.

Everyone had wings. Your personality depended on the shade of your wings. The lighter the color of you wings the more pure your heart was. People like to avoid people with dark wings.

White shades were rare. Having your wigs with a white shade means your broken. The darker their wings were the more broken they were.

The bigger you wings were the stronger you were. People with large wings were respected most. Those with small wings chose to hide their wings in shame.

Peter was born with small blue wings. Then his family died and he was kidnapped by HYDRA. They experimented on him and slowly his wings grew. They turned gray and Peter always hid them. The problem is that you can't hide your wings for too long. They can cause serious pain.

Peter hadn't let his wings out in a long time. Between school, spidermaning and the Stark internship and the fact that his wings couldn't fit in his tiny apartment he hadn't found the time to let them out.

Peter was currently fighting the Avengers as spiderman. They wanted to know his identity and make him sign the accords. But, of course, he didn't want to thus the fight.

The pain in Peter's back was increasing by the minute. His stance faltered and he received a punch to the gut by the Captain America.

He stumbled back and tripped. He landed on the ground of the rooftop with a thump. The pain in his back was bad and he could hardly move.

But he had to move. If they found out his identity bad guys would too and then the bad guys would go after his remaining family memeber. He certainly couldn't have that.

He tried to fight through the pain but he was still just a kid. A kid that worked his ass of every day for people who didn't appreciate it.

He had to escape. There was only one way.

He let his wings out. He heard a collective gasp from the Avengers. He took this as his way out. With the pain now gone he got up and ran off the edge.

He fell for a while as he tried to remember how to fly. Before he became red art on the sidewalk he took to the sky. It was a little hard but he was getting a hang of it.

He faltered a little but he stayed in the air. When he was sure he was a good distance away from them he perched on the roof of another building.

He sighed but then groaned when the rest of the Avengers joined him again.

"Can't you just leave me alone? I just want to help people who think I'm a menace not have to be the governments puppet," Peter said.

"Sorry son but I don't think you understand," Steve said taking a step closer to the boy, his bright blue wings showing off.

"No you don't understand," Peter snapped making some of the Avengers jump in surprise, "I want to save people without having to wait for the green flag from the government. I couldn't save the people I care about so just let me save everyone else."

Peter looked away from them and they watched as his wings visibly darkened. He jumped off the roof and flew away. None of the Avengers bothered to go after him.

***

"But-"

"I don't care. You will bring spiderman in and that's final!" Fury shouted cutting Steve off.

He didn't give them any time to protest as he immediately left the room. The Avengers hung their heads. They had no choice but to go after the vigilante.

***

The Avengers landed gracefully behind Peter. He didn't bother turning around though. He didn't make a witty remark, just stood their looking down at the city below. The silence was enough to scare any extrovert.

Suddenly Peter let out his wings. The Avengers could hardly see them as they were now pitch black. They were shocked and their hearts were filled with sympathy for the boy.

"I lost my aunt yesterday. She is...was the last person I cared about," Peter said breaking the silence. He took a long pause before continuing, "They say that when one's wings turn black the have nothing to live for. They're a lost cause and they might as well be dead. They often commit suicide... I have no one left. I get bullied. People think I'm a menace."

Peter turned around to face them and pulled off his mask revealing his tear stained cheeks. The Avengers gasped in surprise. They hadn't expected him to be so young. Only a teenager.

"Yet I can't bring myself to jump of this roof and end it. Somewhere in whatever is left of my heart I can fell my parent's, aunt May, uncle Ben, Gwen and Harry telling me to keep going. If I died the city wouldn't have anyone to protect it."

He cast is eyes down as they filled with tears, "They were all proud of me. I'm the city's protector...but I couldn't protect the ones closest to me."

They stood in silence for a while; the Avengers didn't know what to say. Bucky took a step forward causing Peter to flinch and he stopped.

"Look kid," Bucky started softly, "You've been through more shit than any of us. I know you probably don't trust us and there's no reason for you to; we've been attacking you for weeks. But we are probably the only ones who can understand what you're going through."

"Signing the accords won't make you the governments puppet it just means that they will be able to deal with you if you go to the other side," Steve said.

"Look kid, we don't want to lock you up or use you; we want to help you," Tony said, the helmet of his suit retracting.

"Let us help you," Nat said softly.

Peter sniffed and wiped away his tears.

"Okay."

1019: words.