Chapter 16 - Dealing moments

Peyton Griffin's POV

After leaving the school, I arrived at Parks' orphanage.

It has to be one of the most beautiful buildings I have seen; apart from the buildings back in the Griffin estate, this one has a more homely feeling than my actual home back in that hell hole. It was a simple bungalow painted burgundy; metal doors stood at the entrance with a tree next to the building.

Logically I focused my gaze on the women in front of the building who, together, let out a sigh of relief when I came closer to them.

The one who looked significantly the oldest among them stepped forward, "Are you by any chance, Peyton Griffin?"

I crossed my hands in front of me with narrowed eyes, "Depends on who's asking." I snapped.

After living as a Griffin, I have never been too fond of strangers unless they were kids.

"I'm the head nurse at the orphanage. Jack said you were coming over for the afternoon shifts to fill up for Taryn. The kids are already asleep, so you only need to sort out the files and get acquainted with them." She said with utmost joy, judging from her tired frame. The kids must have really worn her out.

I nodded in response and collected the keys to the place. The rest of the nurses parted like the River Nile as I went into the orphanage. I kept a neutral expression as I nodded at them, a way to show that I noticed them.

The building was painted in blues and pinks on the inside and was eerily quiet. I walked around and found the bedrooms where all the kids were sleeping. The kitchen was locked, while the bathrooms, restrooms and playroom were left open.

The office was like a usual office but had a feminine touch; the first thing that caught my attention was the photograph in a frame on the wooden table.

Marci, Gail, Shawn, Caleb, Jacob, Jack and a mysterious girl huddled together with amused faces. What made me raise a brow was the way Jack had his arm thrown around casually on the dark-complexioned girl.

After looking at the photo, my heart clenched, even though the few people I called family were far away from me. It has been too long since I last heard from them, and I made a mental note to give them a call as soon as possible.

The drawers had some lady products, and everything else had files and documents about the children and their requirements for adoption.

The files were dusty, and after opening up the curtains and turning on the air conditioner in the room, I began looking through them.

One file, in particular, caught my eyes, a little girl by the name of Lucy Jackson. She was from Abu Dhabi, a Muslim. She was found in an alley where she could barely walk. No allergies, her only problem was that she hardly smiled and kept to herself most time.

Assuming I get out of my Father's nuisance soon, I considered coming back here to adopt her.

I felt a light tug on my leg and looked down at the devil I was thinking about.

"Who are you, and where is Taryn?"

So much for being shy.

I picked up Lucy and brushed her Hijab a bit out of her face so that I could get a closer look at her face. She had a deep dimple on one cheek. She mirrored my expression and began to study me. It's as if we are in a staring contest until a cough sounds from the door.

"I see you've met my favourite." Shawn grins as he rests on the doorpost.

Lucy slipped from my grasp and walked towards Shawn and squealed when he picked her up.