Chapter 32 - Mixing deals with pleasure

Peyton Griffin's POV

While my employer was busy crying his eyes out, I was wearing out the carpet in the hallway.

If he thinks he killed his parents; what would that make of me?

My mother gave up her life to save me, if it weren't for me being born, she would be here.

I shake my head furiously, now is not the time to dwell on my upbringing. I have to help him get over it. The question is how?

One can only handle so much before they become hollow of themselves.

How have I never noticed this before?

"If you keep pacing like that, we're going to need a new carpet before you leave," Marci said with an amused grin as she leaned on the bannister while watching.

"Don't mind me, just worrying about your brother," I say with anger in my tone.

Marci rolled her eyes, "If you think that none of us cared about him then you're not as bright as you look."

That was fast, "Excuse me?" If my hearing was not filling me, it was as if she just insulted me.

Marci started walking towards me with caution, not that I would blame her. Anyone who has been on the receiving end of my glare would.

"Caleb doesn't let any of us be near him on his birthday and we figured that you would be the one to help him."

"Why me? I got here just three months ago?" I look at her incredulously.

"For the love of everything holy!" I jumped back frightened.

Dinah marched toward us with resolve in her eyes. "Young lady, if you don't get your butt back in there and help my son, so help me if I don't..."

Marci put a hand over her mother's mouth, effectively shushing her. Dinah and I both sent confused looks her way.

Marci sighed, "Peyton, even if you don't feel anything for my brother. Are you going to leave him by himself at the moment he needs someone the most?"

I knew what I had to do, even if Marci had no clue. I did like her brother, maybe not enough to want to forfeit my family but enough to know that seeing him crying was hurting me.

I glance at the door five feet away and glare at it. Caleb bloody Parks, I have not known you for long, but I do know one thing.

With that in mind, I head over to his door, open it and slam it shut with only one thing in mind.

"Get up!" I command as soon as the door closes behind me.

I flip on the lights and inhale sharply.

Caleb was sitting up in his bed, looking horrible. From his bloodshot eyes with bags under them to the distressed vibe that rolled off him.

A new wave of determination surged through me.

"Peyton, it's okay." He sighs.

"If you so much as tell me crap, Black helps me so that I don't get the buzzes up here." I might as well get the ball rolling.

"I don't see how any of this concerns you anyway! You said it yourself. You're only here to help us with Abigail, then you leave. Leave me be and if the press decides they want to have a go in my life, then let them."

He falls back on the bed with a scoff.

I swallowed to keep my emotions at bay. Hearing it from his mouth was not part of the plan. I made a deal with Dinah that I would help Caleb through this day.