Chapter 44 - A Dealer's Battle cry

Peyton Griffin's POV

The moment I stepped into my former home, the sight of the members of the British Empire stole my interest. From the ones that sit on the pews -the grand foyer a church vibe- to the bulky men clad in suits with wires on their necks who guard the perimeter to ensure everything goes according to plan.

Before I can examine the place for escape routes, a sight that looks oddly familiar comes into view.

"Welcome back, sister."

I take in my other half's appearance. Lola's blonde hair which resembled the sun was now deathly pale. Her blue orbs had an icy look in them. I also didn't miss how she sneered at the word sister.

I pulled her into a hug but she was stiff in my arms and deathly thin.

What the hell happened?

I pulled away from the hug to take in the damage of the situation. Never thought that I would think of my sister that way, but as Marci would say, there is a first time for everything.

"Now that you are back, the world can continue revolving around you like a fucking princess," She spat.

I did a double-take; the Lola I know would never curse, much less at me.

"Pardon?" I looked her over.

I felt a pair of hands place a veil on my head, but I swatted them away. It seems like I should have interrogated Shane more if I knew I would get this kind of reception from my own sister.

"You heard me, right dearie. You think that I don't see what has been happening. You said that going to Miami was a journey you had to take alone so that you could find us a way to be free from our father dearest, but little did I know that you went there to seduce Caleb Parks."

I felt my jaw drop lower than Ariel's home floor.

Did she just?

I felt anger boil in my veins. Only one person confronted me in Miami and could preach such idiocy, but I blame myself for once dating such a moron.

Lola rolled her eyes as she took in my jaw-slacked reaction to her claim.

"I think our reunion is over, have a nice marital life. I know I have. See you around. Sis," There she goes again with saying that endearment like a curse word.

She walked past me and brushed me harshly. I could have sworn that I would have fallen if Danny wasn't standing nearby.

I moved to go after her, but Danny was two steps ahead of me because he grabbed my wrist and tugged me closer to himself while he whispered in my ear.

"You can save her later. The important thing is that we make it out of here alive. Shane went after her immediately she walked past you, so just know that she is in good hands."

He held my cheeks and placed the veil on my hair, "Now I believe we have a marriage to attend. Remember, if you lose your cool too soon, our lives might just meet again in hell."

He pecked my cheek and walked towards the altar, leaving me with my thoughts in a jumbled mess.

I sighed and tried to hold back the tear that threatened to come out of my eye.

"I believe it's bad luck for the bride to cry on her wedding day until she and the groom share a dance." A familiar voice says and wraps a hand around my shoulders.

I look back down and come into eye contact with Mr Rogers. I reel in my emotions and give him a bear hug.

At that moment, the cliché bridal march song started playing in the background, and the younger members of the empire began walking as they made up the groom's men and bride's maid.