Chapter 38 - 'My baby is all grown up, falling in love and whatnot.'

You are never truly alone till the last light in your life gets sucked away.

-Peter Parks.

Caleb Parks' POV

They say the first of everything is always deemed magical, and I couldn't agree more.

I never saw the need to establish a romantic connection with anyone. The world clearly didn't agree with my logic because it threw a blonde girl with blue eyes my way, and she turned my whole life upside down.

I don't know what came over me, but I had to kiss her even if I'll keep replaying it in my head till thy kingdom come. It was totally worth it.

Although I don't regret taking Jack up on his offer on how to kiss a girl. Never thought kissing a sack of popcorn would become a life skill.

I wouldn't be surprised if Peyton has been in previous relationships and compared us. I know I won't be able to hold a candle to them, but a guy can hope, can't he?

I guess Ken's wish came true; America's sweetheart finally had a girl rock his world.

Not surprisingly, she was the one to break the kiss. Her striking blue eyes filled with regret.

Was I really that bad?

I brush her cheeks, hoping it's not a dream. She's going to reconsider her choices and stay.

Please give us a chance.

Everything blurs as I focus on the amazing girl standing before me. She did what I was too much of a Coward to do all these years.

I guess you can say that I'm making a mountain out of a molehill, hoping against hope that she will stay despite the deal we made.

What could be so dire that she wants to leave at all costs?

"If you let me go tonight, I promise I will be there when you get your happy ending, Deal?"

We share a passionate kiss, and the first that leaves her mouth is a deal that I can't make.

"You're not going to stay to meet her, are you?" I say, but it was of no use. As usual, she had already figured me out.

"What if I say you are my happy ending, that you are the person that should never leave? Because the ending is already here."

I go for the grovelling approach because it's true. I can't imagine connecting with anyone else like this girl has done for me, and to say that I want to keep her here would be the understatement of the year.

"Do we have a deal, Parks?" She attempts to look nonchalant, but I see right through it.

Her gaze takes me in as if it's the last time that we will meet. She looks pained as if this decision is out of her hands, and I can't begin to fathom why. If this Empire; she speaks of prevents her from being happy, I'll help her leave one way or the other.

"Deal," I say.

All I wanted to do was kiss her, again and again.

I want to do that and much more, but Carol and Dinah raised me to be a gentleman. The lady's consent and her happiness have to be accounted for. But can she say she's not happy here, with me?

I'm pulled out of my doubting thoughts when I feel a warm pair of lips near my mouth.

"Goodbye, Caleb." She gives me a pained smile and walks out of the room, where I hear her tell Jack to call the pilot.

I stand there and allow the last beacon of light to leave my life.

-

I don't know how long I've stood here and watched the door she used to walk out of the music room, out of my life.