Chapter 40 - A Deal with Devil's Keeper

Peyton Griffin's POV

"So, where to now?" Shane asks as we pull out of the alleyway and drive down the back roads to avoid attention.

I turn to him and smirk, "I think it's time I made my presence home known. Take me to the Griffin estate."

The Griffin estate.

Where I spent most of my teenage years when my grandfather shipped both Lola and me here with Father Dearest. We own this land, and since we play a vital role in not only the politics of the UK but America as well, the people have no choice but to let us be and allow us to get away with anything we please.

Since this is not our mother soil, the structures here are still magnificent yet temporary, at least that's what I believe. Sooner or later, Lola and I have to take the power of the Empire, and I plan on doing it in my home town at least.

During my stay in Miami, I realized that no matter how much you fight it, you can't run from destiny or fate, as some people call it. Nature will still take its course, and all you can do is not be caught off guard.

We pull up to the largest building in the estate that sits in the middle, taunting people with how white it looks. If you ask me, it bears a striking resemblance to the white house.

Shane cuts the engine off and looks at me, "I think this is the part where I ask if you want to go through with this?"

I sigh and look around. The guards are walking around with dogs by their side since it's already curfew. The streets are illuminated by the lonely lamp posts. The tension in this place was always there, but today it felt thicker.

"It's now or never, Li." I offer a small-hearted grin, and we walk out of the car.

The guards look at us with raised brows, and their hands tighten on their guns, not that I blame them. I am the runaway heiress while my friend beside me is a wanted man; my sitcom life never has a dull moment, does it?

I roll my eyes at their antics; they dare not hurt one of their own. Heiress or not, my grandfather is the only one allowed to kill people. Even though he isn't here, killing his granddaughter is not a good idea. It's like they tattooed 'untouchable' on my forehead.

Runaway or not, it's time I do what I was born to do.

Shane and I walk towards the building I grew up in; so much has happened, but I refuse to go down memory lane. Now is not the time.

I lead the way as the two of us walk to the office where the Devil in sheep's clothing sits.

"It's about time the prodigal daughter returned home, but if you think I will welcome you with open arms, then you, my dear, are denser than I thought."

I scoff and walk deeper into the office while Shane closes the door after us.

"I think we should finally have that talk which was brewing, don't you?" I say with a grim tone.

He smirks, "Oh, do tell Peyton, what could you and I have in common to want to discuss?"

"Let's start with what you did with my father?"

My Father and I haven't had a good relationship, but I'd pick him over the Devil before me. If I wanted him dead, which I partially do, I'd kill him myself.

"He's been indisposed." He waved off dismissively.

"Is that the term you use when you give him a mind-blowing orgasm, and he falls into a coma?" I say in a sugar-sweet tone.

He grits his teeth while pinching the bridge of his nose, "Get to the point of this whole meeting."

"I want to get married tomorrow."