Chapter 20 - A black grand piano.

Like the keys on the piano, the world is either black or white.

-THEO.

Caleb Parks' POV

When I turned seventeen, my dad saved a lot of money to get me a gift for my birthday.

A black grand piano.

Believe it or not, but seventeen-year-old me liked to be sung to sleep by that same black grand piano.

I didn't know how to play it. So every night my mom and I would sit down, and she would teach me how to play it. Her favourite composer was Beethoven. Thanks to her, I know all of his works by heart.

I guess that's why it's both my favourite and worst instrument. It's my favourite because the person who taught me how to play it is among the few people I treasure. It's my worst because said person is dead.

Regardless I avoid playing it, but when I played it last night, It was like I got to connect with her one more time.

-

Breathe in, breathe out.

With one final push; my leg makes contact with the wall, and I double over in the water. I used my weight to push myself in the opposite direction and take another lap.

I see a pebble land in front of me from the surface. Only one person knows where to find me when I am in such a foul mood.

I come up for air and face a frowning Marci. I swim towards the edge of the pool and look at her.

"Great weather we have here, eh?" I grinned at her, and the frown on her face deepened.

"Fine, you caught me. I know I'd say I'll show up to teach you and Nate something new before the show, but I got sidetracked."

Marci rolled her eyes and sat down on the pool's edge, her legs dangling into the water.

"What went down when you and Peyton went into the music room last night? The guys and I were considerate to give some space, but I still wanna know." She says without missing a beat.

I avoided eye contact, "I have no idea what you are talking about."

"Right. Since we're playing the ignoramus game. You should know I'm losing my virginity to Nate tonight."

I narrowed my eyes at her, "If I get my hands on that ginger, I will be the last thing he sees before he goes into the light."

"Chill out, but on a more serious note, Nate, me, and some of our friends are eating out tonight after the talent show."

"I don't know. You must at least be thirty before you go on your first date. That's what Marcel and I concluded." I grin.

"First of all. It's a gathering of friends, not a date. Second of all, my dad is fine. But I know you do not now spill it." She goes on with her interrogation.

I sighed, "I played the piano last night."

I resorted to resting at the edge beside her and turning my face away.

"I asked Peyton to pick an instrument, and she picked the piano. Sure, I know that I hate the instrument, but..."

I trailed off. While I played it last night, I felt closer to my mom, and when Peyton tried to cheer me up, it made everything perfect.

I know fake people like Miss Beatrice will be a constant reminder that no girl would ever be interested in me. Not Caleb the musician, not Caleb the orphan. Just me, Caleb Parks, the guy like Drake who started from the bottom.