Chapter 24 - A Deal to regret

Peyton Griffin's POV

The sight of Caleb lying stiff on the floor was doing wonders on my heart rate, and I didn't mean it in a good way.

When everyone had recovered from the shocking scene, Jack reassured me that everything would be just fine as he and Shawn tried carrying Caleb back up the stairs.

I took Gail from Jacob and shooed him off to help the remaining guys as I moved Gail and Marci towards their rooms.

After Gail was tucked into her covers, I headed to Marci's room to ensure she was alright.

"You okay?" I leaned against the slightly open door.

"Define okay," She asked while running a brush through her hair.

"Did you just sass me, young lady?"

"Maybe, maybe not. Who knows?" She shrugged and stopped brushing her hair. She looked at me, "Shouldn't you be upstairs checking on your crush?" Her brow shot up.

I rolled my eyes, "You literally threatened me the other day, and now you want me to check up on him."

Unbelievable.

"I'm just saying you should follow your heart. And I'm pretty sure the boys don't know how to look after someone drunk." She stated.

"Why do I have to check up on him? Why not you?"

I don't like to nag, but I would gladly stay far away from Caleb if it meant I completed my mission here.

"Look at it this way, an employee just walking into their employer's bedroom to ensure that he is okay." She stood up from her dresser and walked closer to me.

"Seriously though, if you like Caleb, try not to break his heart when you leave. In hindsight, you might not even be the first."

What she said caught my attention; Caleb was in love before with whom? Cue the slight tugging on my heart as I realized that Caleb had loved another girl.

Not that I care though.

These people are really confusing. I remember only coming here to look at one person who bore Parks, but if I had to take care of the two of them. They might as well double my pay.

With that, Marci softly closed the door and left me in the hallway with my thoughts.

I started making my way to my room.

None of these people here will understand how bad things will escalate for my family back home if the press catches wind of my love life.

It's already frustrating that Father Dearest may already know where I am since Jordan has such a big mouth. I didn't want to worry about Caleb's safety.

Easier said than done.

I hated him for so many reasons when I first got here but now that I've seen him in a different light, I hate to admit it, but I was wrong.

I pass by his room to get to mine, and whether by accident or instinct, I walk in.

Jack was standing over Caleb's bed; Caleb was sprawled on it. Jacob and Shawn nodded at me and walked out of the room.

"How is he?" I ask as I step closer.

"Alright," Jack responds coldly.

"Hold on, Oprah, why are you angry?"

The feminist in me always looks forward to teaching men some manners. I guess it's a trait I picked up in the Empire.

"Oh shit, Peyton, I'm not angry at you. I'm angry at him." He glances at his best friend.