Chapter 29 - Tomorrow

We never pay attention to those little things around us; until they get bigger.

-THEO

Caleb Parks' POV

So far, the Gala was going according to plan.

In a bid to celebrate Halloween, we all had masks on.

I had met with various businessmen who asked for my talents or presence in their events.

It's cliché for people to believe that money rolls out faster when a musician is in the room, but who was I to complain?

It got to a point where everyone looked antsy as if they were waiting for something, and I had a feeling I knew what it was.

Dinah approached me and offered me a warm smile, "The guests are requesting you to sing. How 'bout that?"

I nodded in response and quickly downed the rest of my champagne. I stalked forward to get to the middle of the room while Dinah gripped my coat.

I turned around, giving her a questioning look. "Can we talk when you finish? There is something I need to tell you."

I reassured her that I would come to her after I was done singing.

I continued walking to the middle of the room and saw Jack talking to Mr Leonard. I fought the urge to grimace.

In the music industry, everyone needs someone to rise to the top, and someone needs everyone to get the money rolling.

As I said, a musician in the room is sure to draw in money.

Mr Leonard is Marcel's rival in the music industry. He hasn't had any luck finding the next big hit, as he likes to put it. Because of that, he has been trying to get me to sign out of Wellington records and start working for Stuart studious.

I approached them and nodded at both of them. Whenever I am forced to be within three feet of that man, I turn into Shawn.

"Have you changed your mind about joining me, son?"

Only Marcel calls me that, so it's not my fault my face undergoes a chemical reaction. My expression changed from the neutral one I got going on tonight to icy and irritated.

"Not sure if there was anything to consider in the first place, right Jack?"

You see, as a public figure, I can't disrespect someone at a party like this. Sure, if we were in a place where no one in the room had been a guest star on E! News or Kentertainment. And if the place wasn't crawling with undercover paparazzi, then I would have no qualms in putting this man in his place, for trying to paint Marcel as the bad guy or take his place in my life. And it doesn't help matters that Marcel is not here.

Jack got the hint and continued my dig at Mr Leonard, "That's right, Caleb. Why would we leave the house and go into a trash can."

But Jack was not a public figure; he was my manager. So if he were to insult anyone. Nobody's reputation goes down the drain except if the person who was at the butt of everything were to react.

"So are you gonna perform because if you are, I'll have a contract out before you finish?" He says. Our slight insult to his profession goes over his head.

Jack rolls his eyes and sighs, "Mr Leo, your offer has been recognized and declined for like the 20th time this evening. Do us a favour and stand back. So that I can introduce Caleb to the guests?"

Mr Leonard wore a grim expression but complied.

Jack used a fork and hit the top of the wine glass in his hand. Everyone turned to look at him.