Chapter 42 - What is it with these people and deals?

Some people are better known as strangers.

-THEO

Caleb Parks' POV

"Remind me again, why do we have to wear tuxedos?" Jacob groaned as we stepped out of the plane.

The weather was sizzling hot, not that I would blame him for his constant nagging. The temperature in Miami has already dropped since Christmas is approaching at a fast pace.

After another show given to us by Jack and Taryn, who did the deed in the cockpit, again. I doubt the pilot will be overjoyed to sit in there and fly us back to Miami.

According to Marcel, we are walking into a wedding, and the best bet that we would have is to stay hidden in plain sight. 'If the Empire wanted their heir to stay, then they would eliminate all her distractions regardless of the repercussions.'

I'm still not clear about the capabilities of these people, so I'll leave it to Peyton to explain when we find her.

Meanwhile, all of us were in crisp black suits apart from Taryn. She chose to wear a bright red maxi dress. It was mid-high with a cold shoulder, ruffles at the bottom and two slits at the edges.

Marcel said his friend would pick us up from the airport, and head over to the Empire.

"If I knew that you would look this scrumptious in suits, then I would have made an invitation." Taryn had a Cheshire grin as she worked her hair-do like a pro.

Jack climbs down the stairs and stands with us on the airstrip. Jacob lets out a wolf whistle, and we all look where his eyes are set.

A woman in leather pants, black high-heeled boots with a black tank and a leather jacket walk our way with her hair in a tight ponytail and shades on her face.

When she is within hearing distance, she slips her glasses to the top of her dark hair and does a double-take.

"When Marcel said he had a deal to call for, I was expecting something challenging."

What is it with these people and deals?

"Well then, love, I can show you how challenging I can be if you point us to the nearest wall." Jacob closes the distance between him and her and covers her frame with his shoulders.

The woman smiles slightly before using one hand to grip his wrist and flip him over. Jacob lands on his back with a thud, but she spares him no glance as she walks closer to us.

"If you want to go into the Empire and make it out of there alive, I suggest that none of you tries something like this Idiot and be on your guard."

She came up to me and looked into my eyes like those cynical cops on NCIS, "My daughter sure knows how to pick them."

I furrowed my brows, isn't Peyton's mother late?

A hand clapped, and we saw Taryn grinning at the woman. "Long time no see."

The woman gave her a nod, "Likewise," Then she turned to look at us, "We best be going. The wedding begins a bit before noon."

She walked towards Jacob, and with only one hand, she helped him up and said harshly.

"I would be careful if I were you unless you plan on losing the only thing that proves you to be a man when we get there."

We trailed behind her as Jacob was now sulking and grumbling under his breath. Jack and I were walking the sides of Taryn while Jacob and Shawn flanked our sides.