Chapter 27 - A Dealer's literature

Peyton Griffin's POV

I sat down and looked straight into the car park full of cars with a neutral expression, my mind running faster than usual.

I had heard of the Wellingtons. They were among the families in the British Empire. They were the third in command while the Griffins were the head.

There was a day that Father dearest had forced Lola and me to sit down and read about our family's heritage. Long story short, Lola fell asleep while I explored the library. There was a map that had the family trees from whatever year this shit show started till now.

I took a closer look at it and noticed that one particular branch had stopped abruptly.

I looked around till I found a book that had the recordings of the deaths of our members.

It turns out the Wellingtons had some shady stuff going on, and my Grandfather had them killed. It wasn't the first time Grandpa Griffin had sentenced someone to death like a queen of hearts; funny how that beheading wasn't his style.

Anyway, they had them poisoned, a family of ten children and two adults died that night, but only one child survived, never to be found. Marcel Wellington.

Now that I think about it, his surname should have rung a bell in my head, but it's not like we met in good circumstances.

"I will regret telling you this later but for now, just hear me out," He said and looked into the car park as if seeing the memories pass within his eyes.

"Faith, Troy and I grew up together. It was no secret that all the subordinates of the Empire knew about the marriage that was sure to happen between Troy and Faith except the bride herself.

Ironically, Faith and I had a little romance blooming between us, and I felt bad that all the dreams she built around us would never come to life. So I told her what her father planned to do, but she swore that she would rather be dead than marry Troy.

Unfortunately, someone had heard me, and so I betrayed the Empire. Sam said nobody should tell the bride until she was of age.

I was the reason my family was killed before me, and that food poisoning was just a lie to make people believe that the Griffins weren't capable of killing their own to outsiders.

After my mother had her throat slit before me, Sam Griffin took the gun from no one other than Troy, who looked nothing near remorse to watch his best friend and his family killed before his eyes and aimed it at me.

Word must have reached Faith. She ran into the room, stood before her father, and made a deal that changed all odds.

She said that if she agreed to marry Troy and stay where she was, I would get to leave the room alive. Heck, I would be banned from Britain as a whole.

And if Sam refused to see eye-to-eye with her; she would kill herself and die alongside me right there and then. We both walked out of the room after Sam gave us a stiff nod as his answer. She walked me to the nearest bus station and gave me a ticket.

I had no doubt that she had planned that deal; she knew that her father would not have the balls to kill her, but even I know that was not the case. If he had a son, all of it would have been avoided, but karma had other plans.

Faith gave me a letter and a kiss goodbye. I watched the girl I loved cry her eyes out as I was forced to continue moving with the bus." He stopped to wipe under his eyes and sniff.

"So, how exactly are you, my true father?" I knew it was a dumb question, but I knew he was retaining information.

"Not what you want to hear, but I took Faith's virginity. The same night I told her of her arranged marriage, I believe her exact words were, 'I would rather die a virgin than give it to Troy.' But either way, I knew if I knocked her up, they would never let her keep the child."