Chapter 45 - 'Father'

Never be caught off guard, even if the future is inevitable and unpredictable.

-THEO

Caleb Park's POV

She was in a white dress.

Time slowed down as I struggled to grasp what was happening. The girl who stole my heart wore a white dress in front of a priest, standing with someone who claimed to be her brother. She had not one but two different men pointing guns at her.

I might not know how marriage works, but I'm pretty sure that guns are not meant to make an appearance.

"I see that I am right on time." I look up to see a girl in a cloak covering her whole body. "You know what they say; a wedding is never complete without a burial following right after." She pulled two guns out of her pockets and shot the two men beside her.

Then the people sitting in the pews stood and started running for their lives while others fought with weapons they pulled from thin air.

Taryn didn't surprise me when she pushedJack and me to the floor while she used her heel to fight off a man who was about to put a knife through her head.

I looked at Jack and saw a dreamy smile on his face.

I scoffed and smacked the back of his head. "Leave it to you to be turned on in the middle of a shootout."

He glared at me, but before he could retort, Taryn grabbed both of us by our ties and pushed us out the door that we walked through and barricaded them with her other heel.

"I think that should hold them off for a while. We need to come up with a plan to get Peyton and get out of here." She muttered to herself.

The mention of the girl made my heart skip a beat. I looked down to try and keep a strong façade like I had been doing all this time.

She left me to get married to her brother. I don't know whether to be surprised or disappointed that a girl would prefer to be hitched by her family member than me.

I came out of my thoughts when the door that Taryn supposedly locked started moving forward forcefully. It made the heel that was holding it starts breaking into half.

Taryn took a step back. Jack and I copied her as the door kept pushing. The heel gave way to the groom of the day.

I resisted the urge to punch him in the face because the reason for such an action was never mine in the first place.

Everyone leaves me in the end, and I'll end up alone.

"Are you guys okay?" He asked with concern in his tone.

Taryn looked him over with suspicion as if he was going to harm us at any moment.

"Relax, Peyton said to make sure you guys get to safety, but I have to ask why you are here in the first place." He asked and began walking away from the show to a long hallway.

As soon as we walked into it, a bunch of men in suits passed by us with grim looks and guns in hand.

She wasn't joking when she said her origin is not a place to be messed with, was she?

"You know, just the newer version of Romeo and Juliet without the death of the main characters." Taryn shrugged as she dropped her guard down a bit, seeing that Danny wouldn't hurt us.

Danny snorted at her reply, "That's nice and all, but we have to get to Charlie and Peyton. Come on." He urged us, and we began running through the halls.