Chapter 2 - A new year

Dedicated to therealchisom

Sometimes family isn't family.

-Theo

Caleb Parks' POV

The cheers of my classmates drown out the concluding part of my valedictorian speech. The smiles on their face look painful as they shout light-hearted teasing comments.

I come down from the stage and exchange fist-bumps and hugs with them. It takes a while, but I finally find my family at the other end of the auditorium.

My mom cages me in her arms and cries into my shirt. I hug her back tightly.

"My baby is all grown up," she says on a sad note. "Congratulations on the graduation, and happy birthday."

"Easy Carol, he's turning blue." My dad says as he cradles my six-month-old sister.

I took her from him and cradle her as she gripped my finger and giggled.

I hope that the warmth of this family never dies.

"Come on, Caleb. We have a reservation at your favourite restaurant to celebrate," says Dad as he leads us out of the local high school, which is officially my former school.

My parents ride in the front seat while Abigail and I rode in the back. She kept giggling and babbling nonsense. I join her in her baby language, and she claps vigorously to urge me on.

"So what university will it be, the arts or med school?" My mom turns back to look at me. A warm smile crawls up her face at the sight that greets her.

"Honestly, I don't know," I reply, gazing down at Abigail.

"I think you would make an amazing Veterinarian who would sing his patients to sleep," Dad says as he stops at a stoplight.

"Just because Pedro can sleep through your horrible singing; doesn't mean other animals can," Mom remarks.

"Says the woman who screamed at me to sing for her when I broke stupid barrier back at..."

"Peter," Mom calls out warningly as she looks out the window to hide her crimson face.

We fall into a comfortable silence as we continue to make our way to the restaurant.

A woman darts across the road as the traffic light in front of us turns green.

"Watch out!" Mom says to grab Dad's attention.

Dad stepped down on the brakes, narrowly missing the woman but skidding over the speed breaker.

The car flies above the road, flips and lands upside the down. I bang my head against the car window and roof whilst holding Abigail firmly against me.

Time slows down as the pain registers in my body. The ringing in my ears was nothing compared to how hard my arm ached from gripping Abigail tightly against me. I focus on keeping my breathing even. I couldn't freak out.

Not now.

Not yet.

The airbags came out of their compartments after the car had stopped swaying. I doubt my parents were doing any good, judging by the still figures in the front seats. I form a fist with my hand and smash the window open. The shattered glass on the road glistened with my blood, but I paid it no heed. With only one mission in mind, I muster the strength to drag Abigail with me out of the car wreck.

Her cries finally registered in my brain, but they did nothing but add panic to my emotions. I wasn't sure what to feel, but happiness was the farthest thing from my mind. Arranging my scattered thoughts, a buried memory forces its way to the front of my mind. I rock my head. 'Focus, Caleb.'

I lay Abigail at a safe distance away from the car wreck and went back to it.

I kick at the window of the driver's seat. Shards of glass decorate the ground as the window shatters. Dad was a bloody mess. His head was resting on the steering wheel, and he wasn't breathing. He wasn't moving.

No.

"Dad...Dad...Dad!" I called continuously, refusing to believe the scene in front of me.

He couldn't die.

"Caleb." I hear a soft voice call my name.

I run my hand through my hair as tears stream down my face. It was supposed to be a happy day.

It was supposed to be one of the best days of my life.

Sobs rack through my body as I dare to peep at his form again.

"Caleb," I hear my name again, this time firmer.

For a second, I thought it was Abigail, yet she was barely a toddler. I take a chance and glance towards her crying form on the side of the road.

"Caleb, look at me." The voice calls out once again.

I looked up at a sight that took the breath from my lungs. Mom had blood trickling down the side of her head, and hair came out from the bun on top of her hair. Make-up smudged her beet-red face.

"You don't have time to sit there and cry. You need to take Abigail and get out of here." She coughs up some blood.

I sobbed harder. "I'm not leaving you."

"I'm not asking you to. I will always be there for you. Right now, I beg you to take care of Abigail. You're all she has now."

"We were supposed to be a family." I cry harder.

"Caleb, I swear if you don't find the courage and get Abigail away from here," Even while on the verge of death, she still manages to threaten me.

The weather joins in on the events as claps of thunder make their presence known. Abigail's wailing became louder as water drops fell from the sky.

"Hurry now." She urges me.

I got up and carried Abigail in my hands.

"I love you both so much. Happy birthday-"

Blood gushes out of her mouth, which stops her from speaking. I'm guessing something inside of her broke. A lone tear slides down my cheek as I run away from the car wreck.

Away from my family.

Away from what was the happiest day of my life.

Barely after running a mile, a loud bang echoed as smoke goes up. Abigail lets out a sharp whimper. I do not doubt that she is aware of the loss of our parents. They may not have brought me into this world, but they were there for me.

Tired, I sat down at the opening of an alley. Abigail's cries hadn't died, yet looking at her brings back many memories. Memories, I wanted nothing more but to burn to the ground.

I glare at the puddle of water in front of me. The reflection that greets me is the one I see every night on this very day.

A little baby in a basket left on a doorstep on a stormy night.

What a way to start a new year of age.