Chapter 34 - Dealing with Selfish or Selfless

Peyton Griffin's POV

I opened my eyes, and the first thing I saw was a bare chest. I was instantly on guard. When I inhaled, I knew where I was, and the previous events came back like a tidal wave.

I pulled my attention to the slight movement; I felt near my head while I heard Caleb hum a song. I knew the lyrics thanks to my other half and best friend, but I was not going to admit that out loud.

"That was a nice song. You wrote it?" I decided to grace him with my presence.

He stopped playing with my hair and looked at me. His eyes had a clear look in them as if the sadness that was once in them was finally gone, and I had no idea why but I suddenly felt like I had accomplished something.

"I'm guessing my morning breath isn't scaring you away, so about that song?" I questioned further.

He removed his hands from my hair and brought them to my cheek, holding it as if I was going to disappear at any minute. "It was my mom, an adoptive one. She would sing to Gail and me to get us to sleep."

Not that I would blame him.

"Thank you." He edges closer to me.

"It was no problem, really. Just helping out a friend." I could feel myself becoming warmer by how affectionate he was being, so I moved away.

He has to remember that I don't plan on staying, so he shouldn't get attached. None of us should.

"Is it okay if I ask what your mom was like?"

"She was a one-of-a-kind woman. She wasn't a pushover. She was the shoulder my dad and I leaned on. If anything, I would want my wife to possess similar qualities." He grins at me.

"I like your eyes."

I am so screwed!

"Son of a biscuit!" I wanted to say the son of una perra, but I remembered that there was an impressionable young man with me.

Translation: bitch.

I got up from the bed and made my way out of here before things could get more complicated than it already was.

"Have a good day Caleb," I called off my shoulder as I slammed the door shut.

I raced to my room and closed it. I hit the back of my head on the door, "Stupid, stupid, stupid."

"No matter how many times you say it. My brother will still think otherwise." I looked up, surprised that I was not alone.

Marci sat on my bed in a pair of ripped jeans, a tank underneath a leather jacket, studded boots and a beanie on her head.

"I am one lucky girl, aren't I?" I muttered as she rolled her eyes.

"You need to shower and come down and have breakfast, Gail and I have been waiting for a while now. Not that you would have known, your morning seemed occupied." She had a sly grin on her face.

I scrutinized her with a critical eye, "You are really calm about this. How come?"

Marci rolled her eyes and came to stand next to me, "Peyton, all I've ever wanted, was for Caleb to be happy especially, to start a family of his own despite what happened. And if it's with you, who am I to complain?" She smirked.

"So you're okay that I might still leave even when he wants me to stay?" I asked.

I'm glad to know that after I leave, Caleb will still be surrounded by people who will help him get over me.

I don't belong in his world, and he doesn't belong in mine. It's better that way.

Marci rolled her eyes, "If I know my brother well, he would still try to convince you to stay. So when it comes down to you really leaving, do us all a favour, let him down gently. If it is not for us, do it for him." She pats my shoulder and walks out of the room.