Chapter 33 - 'From Parks to Parks.'

There is always a heart waiting to be stitched back together.

-THEO

Caleb Parks POV

I feel lighter today. I don't have to put on a fake smile. I feel like I can be free from my demons because I finally faced them. I look beside me and see the person that helped me overcome them.

I remember spooning Peyton last night, but now she has half her body thrown on me.

So I'm sure if I wanted to leave before, which I don't, she would wake up.

I can't stop my hands from lightly feeling her face. Starting from the crown of her head, my hands slide down between her eyes and rest lightly on the lids. Then I run it down the slope of her nose and finally settle it on her lips.

How badly I want to replace my hands with my mouth.

Seeing her this peaceful must be a two-for-two thing because she gave me peace. I hum my old lullaby, the first song in the empatía album.

I let out a small sigh as I rest my hands on her hair and play with the golden tips.

"That was a nice song. You wrote it?" I hear her say.

I looked down and noticed something different about her, and it didn't take me long to figure it out.

Her sliver-blue eyes were warm blue with no hint of silver in them.

"I'm guessing my morning breath isn't scaring you away, so about that song?" She asked obliviously to my inquisitive stare honing in her eyes.

"It was my mom, an adoptive one. She would sing to Gail and me to sleep." I answer, and my hands caress her face. "Thank you,"

Her cheeks tinged pink, "It was no problem. Just helping out a friend." She moved away, and my hand fell from her cheek.

"Is it okay if I ask what your mom was like?" She avoids looking at me.

"She was a one-of-a-kind woman. She wasn't a pushover. She was the shoulder my dad and I leaned on. If anything, I would want my wife to possess similar qualities." I grin.

Knowing Peyton, she would have understood my silent message but chose to ignore it and nodded wordlessly.

"I like your eyes," I say.

Peyton swore, "Son of a biscuit!" Then she got up from the bed and made a straight line for the door.

"Have a good day Caleb." She called over her shoulder and slammed the door.

Before I could get a word out, she left me in her wake.

I decided to corner her later and ask her about her eyes. Meanwhile, I have a life to get back to with a smile on my face.

A real one.

I took a shower, dressed in a pair of joggers and a wife beater. I plan to spend my day practising with the backup dancers for the concert in NYC next week. I need to get back in great shape.

Jack and Jacob were in the kitchen, with Shawn handling the stove.

"Where are the girls?" I ask as I sit on the counter and try to steal a piece of bacon from the plate, but Shawn swatted my hand away with the spatula.

"Gone to school with your girl," Jacob gave me a knowing look while Jack smiled slyly.

"So, how was your birthday Caleb?" My best friend asked me.