Chapter 35 - A Dealers cons

Peyton Griffin's POV

The talk I had with Jacob and Shawn did nothing to ease my nerves. I knew the consequences of what would happen no matter what my decision was. Someone was bound to get hurt in the end.

I spent the whole night worrying if that was how everyone saw me. I knew that the people of the empire wanted me dead because of my last name. To many, I was a ruthless girl, ready to fight for her family. To someone, I was still afraid to give into my heart. To someone, I was willing to help kids no matter the cost. But to myself, I'm a lost soul, looking for that one thing that would help everyone get their happy endings, knowing fully well I wouldn't get mine.

A girl who made deals to get things done, not caring who would get hurt in the end.

It felt out of place to stay up and start thinking over all that has happened these last few months. I started going over scenarios of how my return would play out, and none of it looked promising.

When my brain decided I had reached my speed limit, I was forced to finally shut my eyes. Mission impossible.

I decided on meditating. Something good would come out of it. I assumed the position Aang used to do when he wanted to contact Roku, and I began to quietly hum one of Drake's songs.

It didn't work because I felt more awake, and someone knocked on the door. Officially, I didn't sleep a wink.

I let out a mutter, "Come in."

Caleb walked in, and I forced myself not to inhale sharply. The morning sun was doing wonders for his skin. Don't even get me started on how he looked with the 'just got out of bed' hair look.

"Am I interrupting something?"He looks at me, taking in my position on my bed.

"Nothing really, just having a chat with my imaginary friends," I yawned as the river of sarcasm rammed into me.

"Very funny, but don't you think that you're too old for that?"He smirks.

I felt another yawn coming and didn't bother to stop it.

"Didn't get enough sleep?" He asks.

Well done, Captain Obvious.

"I did get too much if I might say," I say.

"So, what are you doing today?"

I cocked a brow, "Last time I checked, an employee was supposed to do the job her employer employed her for."

He already knew what I was doing today, so why ask? Again another round of applause for Captain Obvious.

"Right, what time do you normally leave the orphanage?" I do a double-take.

"Supposed to be at six, but if the clients are so adamant, I stay till seven or eight," I answer.

Sometimes, I stayed back to help the nurses put the kids to bed, but he didn't need to know.

"Could you stop by the zoo before you come home?"

Well, that's not something you hear every day.

"Caleb Parks, are you asking me out on a date? Again?"I grinned, enjoying this way too much.

Not a lie, if my memory doesn't fail me. I have gone on two dates with this guy already.

"Please don't tell me; I have to make a deal to get you to come?"

He knew me so well.

"As fun as that would be, I think I'll save that deal for a later note. I'll be there." I laughed darkly.