Harbor

The brownies^

Cove's POV
Yesterday I passed my driver's test. I ended up taking it two weeks early because someone canceled and I was able to take their spot.

As soon as my dad and I finished filling out all of the paperwork, he drove me straight to my aunt's house to pick up my new car.

Getting handed the keys was the next feeling ever. I drove home that day, blasting my favorite song the whole way.

Today I'm going to surprise River with some brownies. He doesn't know that I passed my test yet because I never told him that I was going to take it early. Therefore, he still thinks I'm taking it in 2 weeks.

I checked with Azzy to see if it's okay that I come over, and she said that it's fine. Her and River are just chilling at home so I can drop by whenever.

I went downstairs after changing into a warm outfit. I quickly whipped up some brownie batter using the pre-made brownie box mix, then spread it out on a tray and put it in the oven.

While the brownie baked, I ate the leftover batter before taking some canned frosting and dying it pink. I even added some rainbow circular sprinkles into the mix.

When the brownie finished cooking, I took the tray out of the oven and cut the brownie into several small squares.

I then let them cool for 10 minutes before frosting them and putting them in a container. Finally, I'm ready to go.

The cold December air bit at my skin as soon as I stepped outside. Even with my thick jacket on, I'm freezing.

Last night it hailed, that's a good sign that we'll have a white Christmas. I love snow so I'm super excited for that.

The second I got in my car, I turned the heat up to full blast. After setting the brownie container in the passenger seat, I put my seatbelt on and started to drive.

Almost 50 minutes later, I parked in River's driveway. Grabbing the container, I jogged up to his door and knocked.

River opened the door seconds later and stared down at me in confusion.

"Surprise!"

After registering that it is in fact me, he smiled and lifted me off the ground, pulling me into a hug.

"River you're going to squish the-"

"Shhh, I missed you."

"I missed you too but-"

"Shhh."

"The brownies!"

He finally pulled away and carefully took the container in his hands, inspecting the slightly messed up brownies.

"Oops, sorry. They still look cute Cove, thank you."

"Mhm. Can I come in? It's freezing."

"Oh yeah of course, here." He stepped back and opened the door wide enough for me to come in.

I thanked him and walked inside, following him to the kitchen.

"Oh my gosh Cove, these are delicious! Where'd you learn to bake like this?"

"The recipe is on the back of the brownie mix box silly, anyone that can read can make those!"

"Oh, usually box brownies taste cardboard but these are amazing."

"Cardboard?" I giggled.

"Aha." He nodded.

"Well I'm glad these don't taste like cardboard."