New years

Cove's POV
New year, new day. New me, new.. everything!!

Tonight is New Year's Eve, and I cannot wait.

I walked into my room and looked around at all the presents still waiting to be put in place.

A new tv for my room, some lights shaped like cactuses, and a brand new laptop is what I got from my parents. They really spoiled me this year.

Looking down at my hand, the beautiful diamond ring River gave me sparkled on my finger. It's a promise ring. I can still remember how he gave it to me...

Christmas Day; 10 am..

After cleaning up the last piece of torn wrapping paper, I sighed and went to the door. River will be here any minute, he promised.

Knock knock knock.

Three firm knocks on the door caught my attention. I quickly walked to the door and opened it.

There on the other side stood River completely drenched in water. It's raining cats and dogs outside.

"Hey baby," he said with a small smile while moving the wet hair away from his face. Somehow, he still manages to look flawless, even while his clothes are completely drenched.

"River!" I smiled widely and hugged him, not minding that he got my outfit wet. I'd have to change later anyways.

"I got you something," he said and kissed my head before stepping back and pulling out something from his pocket.

A small pink box.

"What is it?" I asked mindlessly. In response, he flipped the top opened and revealed a beautiful diamond ring glistening in the light.

"Oh my gosh.." I whispered, completely speechless.

"Cove, I promise to make you the happiest girl alive. I promise to marry you someday when we're old enough. To be the best dad possible to our future children. I promise that we'll be with each other forever, no matter what."

He slipped the ring on my finger and kissed my knuckle. I chose to ignore the upset tone he used when he said "forever, no matter what." It's like something had happened to make him feel like someone or something is trying to break that promise.

"I love you River," I smiled and kissed the corner of his mouth.

"I love you more Cove, always."

He suddenly lifted me up in his arms and kissed my cheek a bunch of times, making me giggle.

"You're so precious my love," he said while stroking my hair and rubbing up and down my leg.

"Mm thank you," I whispered.

"You're my baby, my love, my darling. Mine."
____________

Every year my family and a couple of our family friends spend New Years up in a cabin. It's a lot of fun, we play games, bake food, go on hikes, explore. All of that.

I changed into a warm yellow sweater, a white skirt, and tights underneath since it's cold.

My suitcase is laid open on the bed as I think of anything I may have forgotten to bring. Clothes, check. Makeup, check. Hair brush, check. Book, check. I think I have it all.

We leave in 15 minutes, I'll have to call River before we go. Smiling, I picked up my phone and called his number.

He didn't pick up. Weird. I called him again, and just as it was about to go to voicemail he answered.