Miss president

(That's Azalea on top)
Cove's POV, Friday...
Today is the day I'm going to meet River's cousin. Even though I was nervous at first, I've started to get more and more excited as time passes.

We're going to be best friends! And now I'll have someone to stay with when River has to go do things. Well, that's if she likes me.

Yeah I've been going back and forth about this a lot, but I've grown to realize that whatever happens happens. Worrying about it won't change anything.

"Ready baby?" River called from downstairs. School is about to start but right now I'm in my room packing a few things for tonight.

"Yep!" I answered as I zipped up my small bag and picked it up. I only packed a change of clothes and something to sleep in. River already bought me a toothbrush and I left a few hair ties at his house last time. That's all I really need.

"This morning we have a assembly," I stated once I got downstairs, even though I'm pretty sure River already knows that. All week has been election week and today they're finally announcing the winners.

"Yeah, I don't think I'll go, it's pointless," he said. I pouted as I got into his car.

"It's not pointless! It's what determines whether or not we'll have chicken wings for lunch every Wednesday from now on."

"Exactly, pointless. What the cafeteria serves for lunch isn't very important to me."

"True but it's other things too! Like...well I can't think of anything right now but it's important!" River just looked at me like I proved his point while he pulled into the school parking lot and parked up front.

"Ugh never mind, you'll see." I gave up and took his hand as we walked inside. To my surprise, River walked with me all the way to the auditorium. That means he's gonna stay!

I smiled up at his as a silent thank you, to which he nodded his head with a small smile back. We walked in and sat on the bleachers towards the back.

Soon, my friends sat in the row in front of us. I'm glad they're starting to get used to River, it might take some time for them to completely adjust though.

"Good morning students!" Our principal Mrs.Every suddenly appeared from behind the stage with a microphone.

There were a series of "good mornings" and "hellos" before everyone quieted down and focused up front to where all of the candidates are standing in a vertical line.

I spotted Leah standing towards the right and gave her a eager wave. We made eye contact and she mouthed "I'm nervous."

"It's okay Leah, you got this!" I mouthed back, giving her a thumbs up. She hesitantly nodded and I gave her one last encouraging smile before the principal drew everyone's attention back to her.

"Alright alright, I know that everyone's dying to know so I'll just go right in. But really quick before we start-" She was cut off by a bunch of groans and sighs of impatience.

"Okay okay, I was just going to say good luck to everyone and you all did well. I am very proud of how our school has come together for this. Now let's begin."

I looked at River nervously and he silently laughed at me. I then frowned and he apologized, putting his hand on my thigh. I smiled victoriously, then turned back to face the front.

"We'll start with the representatives. First we have our freshman candidates, Earl Levi, Penny Wise, and James Whitney."

"With 107 votes, James comes in third place." James looked down disappointedly, making me immediately feel bad even though I don't know him.