📌32 (Silvio)

(edited)

I had to sit the whole flight back to DC in the bedroom just so I wouldn't hear her laugh with Lazzaro or steal a glimpse of her and be reminded of how I broke her in pieces all over again. But I saw them. I saw how she smiled at him when she went to check up on him that day and I knew sooner or later she'd go to him. He was the better choice. Why would she waste her time with me?

I only went out there twice; to take a seat and strap myself up for the take off and the landing, and both times it was excruciating. Why? Because I had to sit there on the other side of them and watch as Lazzaro held her hand during the ascending and descending turbulences.

I should've been the one comforting her.

Stupid Silvio!

As soon as we were allowed to unfasten our seat belts, I'd jump from the seat and straight into the bedroom to sulk in self hatred like the bitch I apparently am.

After we landed, there were a few cars waiting outside and by the time I had stepped out of the jet everyone else, except me and my men, were already driving off, including Willa.

"To the villa, boss?" Lorenzo asks me as I hop in the back of one of the last two cars. I only give him a dismissive nod as he starts driving out of the airport.

I can't help but feel an unfamiliar emptiness in my chest as we drive home. I've grown accustomed to her presence and now that she's truly gone, I regret it all.

I shouldn't have let her go, but that would've been the most selfish thing yet. It's too late now to think about the different outcomes and I, the dick in the situation, have to come to terms with her absence once and for all.

***

Almost a whole month has gone by since we came back from Fajardo and I haven't heard from her since. Lazzaro only came to pick up his clothes. He also found the time to tell me (again) the same thing he told me when we were driving away from the outpost; let go of Willa and let her live the life she deserves. You're the worst person she can be with. If you love her you will tell her you can't be together.

And I did all that and look at us. We're miserable. Well, I am if no one else.

All I could do is ask Lorenzo to tag her for a couple of days to know what she's up to, but to tell you the truth I'm scared to see her... happy without me.

Now, I'm sitting at the dining table poking the steak in my plate and torturing myself.

"Jeez, what happened to you?" Out of nowhere, Rita comes in the kitchen, brows furrowed, with Lorenzo following behind. She leaves her bag on the island counter and takes a seat on my right. Lorenzo stands behind her.

"Well, hello to you, too."

She ignores my sarcastic salute and continues looking at me with her disapproving glare.

"Why didn't you tell me you got back?" she demands.

"I was busy."

"Yeah?" Rita crosses her arms, not believing my excuse. "Lorenzo told me something else though."

I send a quick glare Lorenzo's way knowing he had snitched on me. "And what's that?"

"That you've been depressed and ignoring your responsibilities since you got back."

"He said that with those exact words? Yeah, well. Lorenzo can sometimes choose not to talk because his boss might just shoot him." Lorenzo lowers his head as a sign of fear.