📌5

(edited)

"How do you plan on finding her with a—what even is that thing?" Silvio asks me after staring at the object in my lap for a few seconds, his left eyebrows knitted in confusion.

I pause slightly to give him a disbelieving look. "It's a baby phone. Haven't you seen one?" I ask and resume taking off the plastic. When I succeed, a light blue baby phone with yellow twinkly stars stared back at both of us.

"How will you find her with that?" Ignoring my question, he proceeds to ask, a strong uncertain tone holding his voice.

"I'll connect into my brother's old baby phone to see if she's home. It's still in his room somewhere. The frequencies tend to interfere sometimes if you do it right. It's a long shot but we don't have anything to los--"

"Lose?" Silvio cuts me off and moves closer to me, a threatening finger shoved in front of my face. "Yes, we have. Time is something I don't have and something I don't intend to waste. Now, get to work and find your damn sister."

I take a deep breath and focus on not showing any reaction that his outburst affected me in any way. I take out the cap, put the batteries in the baby phone and turn it on. As I slowly start changing the frequency, I can only hear static at first but as I continue to up the frequency, the stations begin to clear up.

"You bastard! How could you sleep with her!? I thought you loved me? And of all the girls, you chose Susan? That tramp--"

Susan? Mum's best friend Susan? I thought she was happily married to my high school history teacher. Well, I guess people aren't what they portray themselves as.

Feeling like I'm intruding on a private moment, I immediately change that station. Moving on, the next one is of a baby aggressively crying. I change that, too, in hope he's parents will hear his cries soon.

"Brrrrm, here comes the plane-"

Not this one either. The next one, though, caught me off guard. The sound is low, but if I focus on their words, I can hear them clearly.

"–on't know, Sarah. I've searched everywhere for them. It's like the earth has swallowed them both. I don't know what to do anymore."

It's dad's voice.

"And what does George say? Do they have any news?" Now it's mom. They both sound so tired and beaten up that it makes my eyes swell up with tears. I desperately want to tell them I'm okay and I'm in fact outside the house in a suspicious black Mercedes but Silvio is sitting next to me, listening intently and keeping his posture on edge.

I quickly wipe a tear that has found tits way on my cheek and continue listening.

"--have found few leads on Jade but everything ends in a warehouse down by the docks. The boys found her cellphone along with her clothes and that's all. The phone is heavily encrypted to a level even the forensics back at the bureau can't crack it."

"What about Willa? Anything on her? Oh, Andrew, tell me at least you found her. I can't lose my girls."

I hear dad sigh. I really want to know what he has on me. Maybe they're even close on finding me? Just maybe?

"That's the thing. There's nothing on Willa, too. The camera outside the store has been wiped clean. There are no witnesses. Nothing. Only her cellphone and the bag of groceries on the ground near the store."

After what dad just said, mom only sobs harder. I can't take it. I can't listen to mom's cracky voice and sobs. I turn the baby phone off and inhale slowly.