📌27

(edited)

I sit quietly and just listen to the men in front of me on the table discuss and plan Jade's rescue.

At first, I was scared about them just busting her out of there illegally, but dad said they've basically held her without any clear substantiation, which is illegal by itself, too.

It's been three days since I left the hospital and dad, Gio, Vince and Lazz have been gathering more information on the outpost Jade's held. They finally worked out the strategy last night, but this morning one of Gio's men, who has been keeping watch there, called and said they've doubled the number of agents meaning their rescue strategy won't work if they don't get few more men to help them.

"If you don't bench me, we'll be a total of ten, then." Vince tells them with a slight annoyance in his voice.

Gio turns to look at him and raises his eyebrows. "No offense, but you don't even know how to shoot a gun."

"You say 'no offense' and then you offend me anyway. " Vince huffs and crosses his arms. "For your information, I do know how to shoot."

"Where did you learn, then? Call of Duty?" Gio asks him not really expecting Vince to say yes, but Vince's sudden silence confirms it. "Oh, come on. Seriously?" Gio groans in disbelief and Lazz and I find ourselves snickering from aside. Not even a glare from Vince shuts us up.

"Guys, concentrate," dad finally interjects. "Vince, you haven't shot a gun before and there will be trained agents who do that for a living against you. All of us here have some experience, including Lazzaro. It will be dangerous and I can't have your life on my hands if anything were to happen, kid." dad looks at Vince and Vince nods in agreement after a quick thought. Dad continues. "Now, Gio, how many more men can you spare?"

Gio sighs. "Only the six we have now. Even if there was time to fly in more from the States, my father won't let them. He doesn't understand the situation we're in and they respect him too much to go against his word."

I watch as dad rubs his face tiredly. "I couldn't convince anyone from the Bureau to join, too. They were too scared to do it since we don't have any hard evidence that suggests they hold her against the law."

Seeing them desperate like this makes me want to help them in any way I can, but nothing comes to mind. Even if I ask to go with them, they'd all disapprove because I'm not healed properly yet.

I tune their conversation out to focus on some solutions, and the worst possible idea pops in my head.

Silvio.

If I just call him or go to him and ask for his help I don't think he'd refuse. After all he wanted to redeem himself somehow and this is the somehow.

As the rest of them are throwing in ideas on how to get more men or change the strategy itself, I get Lazzaro's attention and motion for him to meet me outside. He raises an eyebrow in confusion at first, but complies once I go out.

"What's up?" he asks me once he closes the door behind him.

For the first few seconds I just stay quiet and stare at him. I don't know how to bring up Silvio to him now. I know he'll get angry and not listen to my idea.

"Why are you staring at me like that? Are we about to kiss right now? " he jokes, chuckling. My stare turns into a playful glare, but it was really just a façade to distract him from my blushing cheeks.

"Lazz, be serious." I clear my throat and tell him just as he takes a step closer, allowing me to take a whiff of the delicious cologne he's wearing.