📌6

(edited)

My ears are still buzzing from the explosion even after we went back to the estate. Even after two days, too. Silvio says it's normal but I have no way of proving that.

For the past two days I have been trying to open the safe, but without luck. I went through almost two hundred combinations before I eventually gave up. Thankfully, Silvio hasn't come around in a while to nag me to open the safe. But it's not just because of that, though. I'm happy he hasn't come around because his presence disturbs me in a way. The way my heart picks up an unplanned beat whenever I see him is unsettling. I blame it on the fact he's kidnapped me, but being attracted to him in any way scares me more.

The door of my new room swings open all of a sudden and Silvio, in all his fashionable glory, struts in. He didn't even knock before barging in.

"Did you open it yet?" he pauses when he sees the box on the table and me sitting by the window, up until now counting all the men that have passed in the last hour by the window outside.

"Not yet." I answer him and return my gaze to the backyard. For a while, I don't hear anything from him, but then I hear him taking a few slow steps, circling the coffee table and ending up right beside me. I don't turn around to look at him this time.

"Are your ears still ringing?" he surprises me with his almost sincere question so I can't help myself but turn to him anyway in disbelief. He's standing still, only two feet away from me, and waiting for my answer.

"A little," I reply truthfully. The ringing was the worst right after the explosion. After that it subsided bit by bit, but it still hasn't cleared up all the way.

"It's normal. It will go away," he tells me again just like two days ago when I complained of the ringing.

Even after he says that I still stare at him, but this time getting curious about his accent. It's always present, but sometimes it's more prominent than others. I've noticed when he's agitated or angry, he doesn't care that the pronunciation of some English words is harder to understand. He's letting his Italian accent slip with ease and even on some occasions fully jumping to speaking perfect Italian.

Silvio raises an eyebrow when he sees I'm staring at him without knowing the reason. He comes closer and my breath hitches in my throat at the sudden movement and close proximity.

"Why are you looking at me like that?"

Without no other excuse forming in my mind, I opt for the truth. "I was thinking about your accent,"

Silvio, in addition to his previously raised eyebrow, raises the side of the lips in intrigued smirk. "What about it?"

"It's cute how you change it according to your mood." I tell him quickly and instantly regret saying those words. Especially cute. And especially when he chuckles deeply and amusingly.

"Cute?" he repeats, his voice light and playful for the first time in a while. He's always so cold and calculating that I forget he has this other side. "Gattino, I can do many other things with my tongue than speaking Italian that are way... cuter."

My mind processes his subcontext very quickly and as a result to what he said, my cheeks gather all the hot blood and store it there, making me look like a blushing mess.

I turn my head quickly to stare outside, hoping by the time I look at him again my cheeks would be calmed down, but Silvio gently takes my chin in his thumb and index finger and makes me face him once again. The soft skin under his fingertips sends shivers down my spine, but I say nothing. I show nothing.