📌36

(edited)

We drive to the airport with music in the background as we laugh at a stupid joke Lazz made earlier.

We both had so much fun tonight and were both exhausted so our agreement is sleeping on the plane till we land in Paris at around 8 in the morning.

Luckily, Lazz had our luggage previously taken to the airport so we wouldn't have to drag it to the wedding then from the wedding to the airport so we head straight to board the flight once we leave the car.

When we finally get there, I see a small private jet instead of a comercial plane. Confused, I turn to Lazz.

"Hey, I thought you said you got us tickets. Where did the private jet come from?"

Lazz stays silent for a second, choosing his next words carefully.

"I know you'll be mad I didn't tell you sooner, but I spoke to Silvio few days ago and we made amends." he answers and has me standing surprised. Lazz continues. "I told him we were going to Paris and he didn't want to let us fly commercial so he lent us the jet."

"You made up?" I ask him to confirm and Lazz nods.

I'm more surprised than in disbelief, to be honest. I knew the brothers would talk eventually, but it happened quicker than I had thought.

"He also wants to talk to you before we get on the jet." he adds and looks behind me. I don't have to turn around to see who it is. "I'll be waiting for you inside, okay?"

I nod. Lazz kisses my forehead before climbing up in the jet.

My legs start to shake subtly. I know he's just a few feet away from me, but I don't really think I have the strength to face him. I should be mad at Lazz for making me talk to Silvio now, yet I'm not.

"Gattino?" his voice is barely a whisper, begging me to turn around and face him. And I finally do.

"You don't get to call me that anymore." I tell Silvio, a bitter yet nostalgic tone probing through my words. Lazzaro wouldn't appreciate it, too.

"Sorry." his voice is still a whisper. Silvio moves forward and now stands barely a foot away from me. His presence has always affected me, it has always ignited some fire in the pit of my heart and I don't think it'll ever go down.

He thinks about what to say next, his eyebrows knitted in contemplation, and I don't say a word, too.

He's the one who wanted to talk so I wait for him to talk.

"I guess I shouldn't keep you for too long so I'll just say it. I know I did you wrong too many times and I've apologized for all of them but one. Even though I am, I won't say sorry for breaking your heart because I know you will never forgive me for that. I still love you so fucking much, but I also know my brother does, too, and his love is safer. I never knew how to love you properly, Willa, and no matter what I did for you, it always hurt you."

My eyes well up even before he finishes his sentence and I can't stop a single tear from rolling down my cheek. Silvio notices, even through the dimmed lights, and brushes it off before he pulls me in for a hug. His head rests on top of mine as his hand is holding me by the nape of my neck softly.

I should push him away, but it's nice to feel him hug me for probably the last time, even after everything. I can't lie to myself anymore and say I haven't missed him so I wrap my arms around his waist.

"You deserve to be happy," he murmurs and another tear slips away. He's left me without words. My mind is a blank sheet of paper and I don't know what to say back.

"Lazzaro is waiting so you should probably head," he, then, says after a moment of just silence and hugging. I nod, acknowledging it, but neither one of us moves.

Without looking up, I utter the next words knowing they'd just be that... words with meaning, but without action. "I still love you, too, you know..." my voice is small, soft, almost incoherent, but he hears it. I know he does because he lets a small smile shadow his lips.

"I know, but focus that on Lazz now" Silvio kisses the top of my head, then makes the effort to pull back. With his smile still on, he tells me, "You look gorgeous as always, by the way."

Remembering I'm still dressed up from the wedding, a chuckle leaves my lips and I thank him.

"Take care, Silvio," I tell him and slowly start walking away from him.

"You, too, Willa, " his voice catches up to me when I climb the stairs and enter the jet with a sad smile on my face.