📌20

(edited)

Couple hours passed after Silvio and I had that conversation and I still can't wrap my mind around it. I'm trying to think it out as he asked of me, but it's damn hard.

It shouldn't be hard, though, right?

He kidnapped me, threatened my family, killed men in front of my eyes—all of this just to find and kill my sister. I'm inclined on hating him. Hell, I should be plotting to kill him, drown him, hang him, burn him—something! But, at this moment the only something I feel is pure and utter confusion.

And I'm even more confused because I'm still confused about all this. How's that even fucking possible?

"Hey, can I join you?" Out of nowhere, Lazzaro's dubious voice brings me back to reality. I look up and I see an apologetic smile plastered on his face.

"Of course." After I answer, he pulls the chair back and takes a seat  on the second and only free chair on this not so big table. "You hungry?" I then ask him, pointing to the delicious, half eaten food on the table with my eyes.

Lazzaro shakes his head. "Already ate, but thanks." And even though he declines, he still takes a strawberry from the plate and dips it in the melted chocolate before putting it in his mouth.

"You already ate?" I rise my left eyebrow at him, but he just stares at me quizzically.

"What? Oh, come, it's strawberries. Who can resist them?" He yells out rhetorically, but composes himself and that playful face is soon replaced with a more serious one.

"Anyway, as much as I want to talk about strawberries and eat them, I didn't come here for that. The main reason is because I wanted to see how you're doing and, uh, apologize." Lazzaro finishes up and looks fixedly at me. I blink once, gather my thoughts about what happened in the morning and then sigh.

"I'm okay, Lazzaro." I tell him. "And what do you need to apologize for?"

"For letting you drink so much that certain things... escalated. Like, they ended really badly and in a very misunderstanding way."

"That is very true." I laugh with a pained expression while taking a sip of the iced water and managing to choke on it. After coughing a few times and calming myself down, Lazzaro continues.

"And also for purposely trying to provoke Silvio with what I said afterwards."

"Look, you aren't the one to blame for my drinking and what happened because of that. I'm sure I've got a part in that too. However, you provoking Silvio? That was a real asshole move. Why did you do it anyway? The situation was already bad, but you had to make it worse."

"I don't know to be honest. I'd say it's a silbling's thing to provoke, but when he started talking to you like that, like you are his possession or a thing he controls, when he demanded answers from us even though we didn't really do anything, that's why I got pissed off, I think." I listen to him carefully while rewinding my mind to the moments from this morning. Up to a point, I can agree with Lazzaro and where these thoughts of his come from.

"And I know this side of Silvio very well. He's always been like this; possessive about certain things, and people, which is infuriating." Hearing this from Lazzaro makes me look at Silvio a little different than when Rita talked about him that time. Not even once did she mention this side of him.

Speaking of the devil...

"Lazzaro, ho bisogno di parlare con te. Adesso!" Silvio approaches us and addresses his younger brother while not even acknowledging me.