📌8

(edited)

As I walk side by side with Silvio, our hands interwined by his demand, I take my time to stare at the magnificent interior of the casino. It serves as a distraction from him, too.

High ceilings, enormous chandeliers, expensive furniture and an exclusive bar—it looks just like out of a movie. And don't get me started on the people inside who I'm sure are wearing thousands of dollars on them. I also spot a few famous people and among them I think I just saw Drake.

"Stay close, gattino, and remember what I told you." Silvio whispers in my ear, his hot breath making goosebumps run down my neck, as he leads me through the crowd with his hand just above my ass. So much for the distraction...

Silvio takes us through another hallway on the right, just after the bar. Only now do I start noticing poker tabkes, blackjack areas and few Russian roulette wheels. He moves past the wheels and the blackjack and goes straight for the group of people sitting on a poker table that is a little secluded from the other ones.

"Good evening, gentleman. May I join you?" Silvio's deep voice makes all the men on the table to raise their heads and look at him. He sounds so polite that if he asks me something in that voice I don't think I'd be able to say no.

"Silvio, my boy, long time no see. Come. Take a seat." One of the men perks up and grins at him, the big brown cigar poking from the side of his mouth. He looks to be around fifty, his hair grayed out and a few wrinkles here and there, but he still seems healthily built for his age.

Silvio glances at the only remaining seat on the poker table and sits, taking my hand and pulling me to end up in his lap. I may have let out a tiny squeal of surprise because all the men have their eyes on me now.

"Who's the lovely girl?" The same man asks Silvio and puffs a big smoke from the cigarette.

"Her name's Sandy. A friend of mine." Silvio answers him courtly and gives me a quick warning look before concentrating on the gentlemen in front of us. Is my name Sandy now? Really?

The poker game starts from the beginning as Silvio has now joined, too. Cards are shuffled and given to the players when Lorenzo comes out of nowhere and brings Silvio a bunch of poker chips—the same ones as the chip from the safe. Then, the game begins.

I try to follow what everyone is doing while sitting awkwardly on Silvio's lap like a little girl. All the men around seem concentrated, but in a state if relaxation, too. They bicker playfully, joke and talk about some random topics, but Silvio stays silent. That is, until one of them mentions a break in on the upper floor of this casino, in one of the office rooms.

"And they never found who broke in or what was stolen?" Silvio asks after a few seconds of thinking and the same man with the cigar shakes his head.

"They said some masked girl, but they couldn't find what was stolen. She either didn't find what she was searching for or did it only to prove she could break in. Either way, the security is upped so much after her. They can't have another situation like that."

"And the casino is still owned by that CIA director?" Silvio thinks for a while as he calls the other player and raises him, then asks. He steals a quick glance my way when I squirm uncomfortably. It was definitely Jade. But what was she looking for?

"Yes, but let that be just between us." the man now speaks quieter. "He has his nephew as the face of the casino for the public eye since he can't be known for running it. There are some shady things going on here that would ruin his reputation and maybe even put him in jail."

All the mean hum in agreement around the table and Silvio muses, seemingly coming to a realization. His fingers start tapping my tight rhythmically, his mind going off somewhere to think.