📌24

(edited)

"... fai qui? Ti avevo detto di non venire più."

"Lazzaro, non voglio litigare con te. Lascia che la veda. Perfavore."

The loud voices outside my room do wonders in waking me up, especially when the door is slightly opened. I know I won't get back to sleep now so I carefully sit up and rub the sleepiness off of my eyes before concentrating on the voices.

One of them I recognize as Lazzaro's, but who's he arguing with? I still can't clearly make out the other one.

Their undertones seem tense and the atmosphere surrounding the fight feels actually serious so I continue listening, but not actually understanding anything since they speak in Italian.

"Vuoi vederla? Va bene. Dammi una buona ragione perché dovrei lasciartelo fare." I release an incoming yawn. This is definitely Lazz and he sounds truthfully pissed. I've never heard him like this before. I wait for a response to Lazzaro's sentence, but I'm met with a big, fat pause for a few seconds until the other person speaks up with certainty lacing his every damn word and it freezes me.

"Perché la amo, d'accordo?"

I don't know what he's saying, but what I do know is that just hearing his voice after all that has happened these past few days is chillingly scary. It's repulsive and even though it makes me frightened I can still feel just a sprinkle of anger in my heart for him.

I knew I'd have to face him at some point in the future, but I seriously didn't even think it'd be this soon.

Silvio, the one who put a bullet in me and almost ended my life, is just outside these walls.

A loud punch brings me back to my senses. My eyes dart to the slightly opened door and I see feet stumbling back.

"Stop talking bullshit, Silvio. Fuck! You don't love her. You never even tried to get to know her and you're always hurting her in one way or another. How can you call that love?" Lazzaro's words, now in english, slip through clenched teeth and the anger he had before now multiplies. I manage to stay still with rapid heartbeat, wondering who they're talking about. Could it be... me? Does Silvio love me?

Up until now Silvio has acted more calmly than his younger brother, but what Lazzaro just said triggers him. I hear more shuffling and shoving before I hear him talk again. "I know her way better than she knows herself, Lazzaro, and don't ever again question my feelings for her. I've never loved any woman the way I love Wil–"

"Lazzaro?" I know how that name finishes and that's why I shout for Lazzaro; to catch their attention and stop Silvio from uttering a sentence my mind nor heart can process at the moment.

The brothers outside the door get quiet and as the quietness prolongs for a couple more seconds, my heart threatens to seriously shut down. But, then, the door flies ajar and a disheveled looking Lazzaro strides inside with a worried look.

"Tiger, you okay? When did you wake up?" He asks with bated breath, looking straight at me, but then darts his attention to his older brother when he hears him take hesitant steps inside. I center my attention at Silvio's figure by the door too. He's careworn. His usually lively, yet cold eyes are exchanged with dull ones with dark circles under. A five o'clock shadow rests on his grim features extending his tiredness more, but what really catches my eye are the few droplets of blood running from his nose.

"Willa?" He finally manages to utter unsurely as if saying my name will make me dissappear from in front of him. I don't reply anything, but simply continue looking at him while the new set of panic slowly starts to settle.