📌25

(edited)

I watch as the raindrops slide down the window, slowly at first and then all at once.

There was a time when just hearing the sound of rain comforted me and had the ability to get my mind to calm down, but I guess it doesn't work anymore.

I sigh and avert my eyes from the window on my left to Lazz, who fell asleep on the chair by my side fifteen minutes ago. His head rests on the mattress by my leg and he sleeps soundly, his steady breathing an only indication he's still alive.

Looking at him like this makes me realize how close we've become these past couple of days.

He's been nothing but a good friend since we've met, sure, but there's this lingering feeling inside me that he's becoming something more and it kinda scares me.

I think about waking him up, but I remember he hasn't had much sleep these past few days because of me.

My mind, then, wanders off to Silvio again.

Since he left yesterday, I haven't stopped thinking about what he said. I couldn't even sleep properly and for the first time the chest tube wasn't the reason for it.

If he said something else I would've brushed him off, but he confessed he loved me and that's not something you forget or brush off easily.

Then there was the moment in the hotel after the incident with Lazzaro almost a week ago. He said he wanted me even then. At first I thought of it as wanting me sexually, but never to this extent.

Even if I somehow manage to put the love confession aside, what should I do about his one last chance he begged me for? Should I give it to him again and watch as he messes it up and disappoints me one last time?

But, what if he gets it right this time?

I shouldn't have, I know, but I felt bad seeing him miserable like that. Even the fact that he shot me was buried deep in my mind for a short moment.

I'm starting to forgive him without even realizing it.

Lazz asked me what Silvio and I talked about, but if I told him he would've only complicated things more and I couldn't think it through clearly.

My eyes fall back on Lazz again as I feel him shift beside me, but he's still deep in sleep.

There's a question that's been dancing in my mind about him too, though.

How did Jade let him stay here knowing he's Silvio's brother?

I bring my hand to massage my temple and relieve the headache that's starting to settle when someone knocks on the door.

The door slowly opens and, after seeing Lazz asleep, Silvio quietly steps inside with a handful of wrapped up bouquet of pink tulips. He gives me a smile before he makes sure to leave the flowers on the coffee table without a sound.

I smile back.

Why? I seriously don't know.

"Thank you for the flowers," I say.

"It's the least I could do."He whispers and manages to walk around my bed and sit on the sofa while cautiously eyeing Lazzaro.

"He won't wake up, don't worry. He sleeps like a brick," I assure him, referring to the sleepy head next to me.

Silvio's lips curve into a short-lasting smile as he looks down in his lap and fidgets with his fingers. "He was like that when he was little, too. Mamma always got frustrated when he wouldn't wake up easily."