📌34

(edited)

"Nooo! Jay, please don't!" the addictive laughing of our little brother rings through the house as Jade continues to tickle him. He's hunched over on the sofa to block Jade's hands, but, so far, he's failing. "Willa, help me," he calls out to me desperately in between laughs but I just chuckle and take a bite of the sandwich I made a couple of minutes ago. 

His laughs are one of the main things I missed about the little guy. It's like music to my ears.

"You can't get away now that I've gotcha," Jade says to him, giggling when he manages to slip a little away from her, but my mind suddenly wakes up a memory I thought I had forgotten. 

"You can't get away now when I finally got you, Jade Maxwell."

That's what Silvio said to me when he kidnapped me, thinking I was Jade.

Shit, what am I doing thinking about him again? 

These past few weeks I've tried ignoring the probing thoughts of him in my mind, but they come and go as they please. And they happen to surprise me in the most uncomfortable moments, just like they did on my first date with Lazzaro.

"Jade, let's go," mum breaks up my chain of thoughts when she yells out for Jade. "The boutique is opened for two more hours and you still haven't chosen a wedding dress. The wedding's in a week, damn it!" she wooshes from the kitchen, through the living room, and gets to the hallway to put on her jacket.

Groaning, Jade leaves Christopher alone and he can finally catch his breath.

"She's more stressed about the wedding than I am," Jade turns to me and says to which I nod.

"Her daughter, who she thought wouldn't get married, is marrying, sis, so she's bound to be like this," I tell her jokingly and sneak another bite of my sandwich. Jade laughs.

"To be honest, I'm still in shock that I actually said yes to Gio," she, now, chuckles as she grabs her jacket from the sofa.

"Jade, come on!" mum's voice can be heard again from somewhere outside now. 

"I'm coming, mum. Jeez," Jade mutters as she quickly puts on her shoes. 

As Jade's about to step outside, mum pops her head back in and points a threatening finger my way. "And you. Don't forget to grill the meat and make the salads with your dad. We're having the boys over for dinner." she quickly says and closes the door behind her before I can give her an answer. 

Sighing, I get up, leave Christopher to watch his cartoon, and go looking for dad to start the dinner.

                                                                                                      ***

Dad and I surprisingly got well about the food preparations. He went outside to grill the chicken and the steak and I made the salads and side dishes relatively fast. Everything was smooth even when the boys came, and by boys, I mean Giovanni and Lazzaro. 

Giovanni, I can understand why she'd invite him over, but Lazzaro not so much. We haven't even been dating for very long. We went on that first date just last week and it seems too soon for him to be coming over for family dinners, but mum insisted. 

I thought it'd be tense, all of us sitting at one table and having casual dinner, but strangely it's been normal so far. You'd think that dad, being a man of the law, would mind that one of his daughters is marrying a mafia member and his other daughter is dating the brother of the man who kidnapped her, who also happened to be a mafia boss, but he doesn't seem to mind it at all.