📌23

(edited)

The steady beeping of a machine, the repulsive desinfectant smell and feeling utterly battered is all I can hear, smell and feel. I'm in a hospital, that I know for sure.

"Willa! No, no, no, no. Hey, stay with me. Stay with me!"

"Do you know what you've done, brother? You shot her..."

"Willa, honey, stay with me please. Don't close your eyes on me, don't. Gio, drive faster! Willa? No, no, no! Open your ey–"

Little by little, piece by piece and voice by voice, it all starts to come back to me.

I remember finally getting free from Lazzaro and running to Jade and then a gun being fired but I didn't really feel a bullet piercing me. I just... collapsed. I felt like I was getting wet and I knew it was because of my blood, but I didn't feel the pain that should've been there. I only felt panic when I couldn't draw in a single and proper breath. I felt the strong metallic fluid filling my mouth up too. Blood. I was choking on it.

And... And that voice, Lazzaro's voice. He accused Silvio. He said brother.

Did Silvio shoot me? Was he the one that put a bullet in me?

All of a sudden, my chest starts constricting all over again, as if the thought of Silvio shooting me makes me relive that moment once again.

I can't breathe.

"Willa? Nurse!" It's a familiar male voice yelling for help. Soon enough I hear someone usher inside. I still can't seem to open my eyes though.

"Sir, please step aside." A female voice with a prominent foreign accent orders firmly yet still politely. Then I feel her putting a mask on my face.

"Deep breaths, Willa. Take a few deep breaths for me, cariño. Calm down. It's just a panic attack. Focus on my voice." She tells me loud enough for me to hear it and, bit by bit, my breathing returns to its steady inhales and exhales and I'm finally able to open my eyes. The lighting harshly invades my pupils, but I get use to it shortly after.

My vision is still blurry, partly because of my bad eyesight, but I can notice the nurse, a woman in her late 40s with gentle facial features, hovering right above me, still inspecting the state I'm in. 

"How are you feeling?" The nurse now asks me directly.

"Like I've been run over by a bus." I attempt to make a small joke and smile through the oxygen mask. My voice, despite being muffled because of the mask, comes out raspy and hoarse as if I have gone by without drinking water in too long. The nurse notices this and gives me few sips of water then puts my mask back on. I thank her on which she just smiles.

"If the pain becomes strong just press the button beside your bed and it'll send some pain medication through your IV. The doctor will be in shortly to examine you properly and explain all the procedures done. And try not to move too much or get up, alright?" She briefly explains. I thank her again and just as fast as she came, she is gone through the door.

I finally remember Lazzaro next to me and turn my head to look at him. How did I forget about the guy just sitting there?

He shoots me a weak smile and drags the chair closer to my bed before taking a seat. "Hey, tiger. Long time no see."

"Lazz." I smile back, "How long have I been out?"

"Maybe two days? I don't really know. I stopped looking at the time to be honest."