📌22 (Silvio)

(edited)

There were too many times in my life that I've been scared, but this? Waiting to see if she's gonna even make it out alive? This takes the fucking top.

When we were younger, my mamma was the only reason we went to church. She believed in God and she would always say to us that if we prayed, God would always hear us no matter what. The last time I prayed was when she was dying, but no one heard my prayers. We buried her two days later. 

And now, I'm praying again, hoping that this time I won't have to bury another person I love.

"Dio, ti sto affrontando di nuovo, impotente. Non puoi salvare mia madre, ma per favore salva la ragazza che amo. Per favore ..." I pause and take a shaky breath.  "Per favore, non lasciarla morire a causa dei miei errori. Puniscimi. Prendimi invece se vuoi, ma non lasciarla morire ... "

"Silvio?" Then, out of nowhere, I hear Lazzaro. I didn't even notice when he walked inside the hospital chapel.

My back stiffens, worrying that he'll notice the few runaway tears on my cheeks. I hurriedly wipe them off and turn around.

"How's she?" I ask him. His look toward me is a dirty one. He's clearly angry, just like everybody else.

"They are operating on her now." There's a quick contemplating expression on his face, but it disappears when he comes near me. "Silvio, I think you should take the boys and go."

"No. I'm not leaving her."

"Not leaving her?! Are you fucking kidding me?" Lazzaro laughs with no humor evident in his tone. "It's your fault she's in that shitty operating room, fighting for her life. What more do you want?"

"I'm not going anywhere, Lazzaro. I know it's my fault, but I need Willa to know that I would've rather shot myself than her. I need her to know that when she wakes up. I need to see her alive and okay. " I say with no room for negotiation and Lazzaro simply glares at me.

"You are one selfish son of a bitch. You know that, right? You'd rather tell her you didn't mean it and clean your fucking conscience than consider her feelings. Has it crossed your mind that maybe—just maybe—if she wakes up she wouldn't want to see you ever again?

"When. When she wakes up."

"Yeah, right. Because her chances of surviving are that high. Her lung had collapsed, Silvio. She had been choking on her own blood the whole drive to the hospital. Do you know that even just a few centimeters to the right and that bullet could've been in her heart instead? Do you not consider that as life threatening?"

The anger boiling inside of me makes me shoot up from the chair and face my little brother with a menacing glare.

He doesn't know shit about me caring for her. He doesn't know that I'd consider her burning her tongue on hot pasta as life threatening, just like she did few weeks ago. He doesn't know that her fussing over a harmless paper cut would have me burning the damned book just because I care for her and he sure as hell doesn't know that my heart had been breaking all those times I heard her cry or sob.

"Of course I fucking do, Lazzaro! You don't have to tell me that I could've killed my gattino on the spot. Don't make it even harder for me to deal with this."

And just that simple thought of me being the reason she could've been dead long ago has me going fucking crazy.

He chuckles dryly now. "Your gattino? Since when do you call Willa your gattino, hmm, Silvio? What? Do you love her or something now?" I take a step forward and take a slow look at my brother already assuming what's on his mind. Just at the thought my jaw clenches to the brink of painful.