📌13

(edited)

I don't know where we are anymore.

We ran for ten minutes straight, which to be honest felt like ten hours, and because of Vince we ended up in a dark alley between two high buildings. Perfect place to get snatched... again.

"Are they. Still. Following us?" Vince speaks between uncontrolled breaths. When I turn around I see him leaned against the building's wall trying to catch his breath.

"I don't think so." I answer him after a few silent moments just to be sure Silvio and his men aren't behind us. I let myself rest leaned on the wall like Vince and catch my breath, too.

"When was the last time you ran?" Vince now asks me, raising an eyebrow at me. His answer makes me remember the forbidden and cringiest part of my life–seventh grade.

"That would be in seventh grade. Our principal brought an ex marine as our gym teacher. That marine guy was crazy though." I give him a nostalgic answer as I recall my moments as a seventh grader. Whenever we had gym, every student silently prayed before class. Some even intentionally got sick or injured only to get a slip from the nurse and not exercise.

Vince only gives me a thumbs up and takes a few big gulps of air while I try not to laugh at him and his current situation. He looks worse than me.

"What about you? You need some oxygen tank or something?" I chuckle but Vince doesn't seem too appreciative of my humor. He only shoots me a rather nasty glare and continues calming himself down.

Just when the area gets silent and Vince and I think we have lost Silvio and his men, a couple cars drive past our ally and make a sudden stop, tears screeching in the process. The cars go back and now drive into the alley we are in.

"Nope, God still wants me dead. Run!" Vince forgets about his situation and how fatigued he is. Grabbing me by my wrist, Vince drags me into the alley left of us before we resume the dreadful running. We hear the cars following us.

"There. Get inside." I tell him urgently after I spot an open steel bars door from one of the buildings. When we get inside I can see it leads into a small veggie garden. As we run, Vince suddenly gets the idea to make a sudden halt and grab a cabbage or two from the ground.

"Why the hell do you need those?" I whisper yell at him when he closes on me and is now running by my left side. This small garden leads to a tiny path along the building and it connects with the main street.

"It may come in handy. Now, run faster. I think they're getting closer."

In no time, we get out on the main street. It isn't the best move since Silvio can spot us easily but at least we can run faster this way.

Wait, scratch that. Silvio does spot us and we can't run faster.

"God, why do you hate me so much? Why?" Looking up to the sky, Vince whines when three cars surround us and half a dozen men get out no longer after that.

"I told you I'd catch you." no matter how much I disagree with this, his voice still makes my legs go jelly on me and my heart to become arrhythmic. Silvio gets out of the car just like you'd expect a man who has  caught his prey to exit a car; pridefully and so arrogantly with a tinge of cockiness. Yet, when I look more carefully his eyes hold a dangerous glint. He's furious with me.

I don't say a word to him. Instead I stay still and Vince seems to have frozen in place, also.

"Put them inside." Silvio orders his men but before they can come closer to us, Vince decides to use his secret weapons. Throwing the two cabbages on the men closest to him and one in front of Silvio's feet, he backs away and goes for a run. The men look dumbfounded before Silvio yells at them to catch Vince and they start running after the traitor.