📌2

(edited)

"Where is she?"

"She's inside, Boss. But I don't think she's conscience yet."

"I don't care, Lorenzo. I've waited long enough."

I manage to make up two different male voices that the big metal door muffled.  One of them is familiar, but the other one possesses a deep, vibrative voice with a hint of Italian accent that I don't recognize from anywhere. Yet, it sounds very... enticing.

I have been awake for some time now and I've thought about escaping. But how? 

Ever since they brought me into this dimmed room approximately four or five hours ago, they've put me on this uncomfortable wooden chair and tied my hands behind my back tightly with a rope. Men would come inside to check if I'd woken up so they could tell their 'Boss' but I acted as if I'm still asleep and prolonged the meeting with the main man. Out of the many thoughts and ideas of what I may be scrambled in, being kidnapped by some mafia surely occupied most of those thoughts. They didn't want my money so the other options are selling my organs or my body--which sounds beyond terrifying--or acting on a whim for revenge. I didn't want to die either way. 

I close my eyes and let my head fall freely to the side when I hear the door unlocking before it swings open.

"I told you she's still out," The familiar voice speaks followed by the thudding of footsteps. I try to gulp subtly and keep my eyes closed.

"Get out and close the door." I think the man behind all this says that. Not a second later, the door closes and silence occupies the small room. If I didn't know any better I'd say I was alone again. 

"You're not unconscious. The drug wore off hours ago so stop pretending. You also sneezed earlier." The tone is cold and the person behind it sounds almost bored by all this. I still have my eyes closed despite his revelation, though. I know better than to do otherwise. Even if I did sneeze earlier.

Silence falls over us again and when I don't speak or move, I hear him drag a chair from the other side of the room to where I am, the screeching noise slicing through that heavy silence.

"So we're gonna play then, huh?" He says again after he plops on the chair, but I remain with my eyes closed. Just a little longer and eventually he'll go away. But then I hear him muse as if he just thought of a solution.

Nothing happened for the next few seconds but then I felt a cold metal tip just below my chin, and my breath hitched. I squeezed my eyes even tighter and focused on holding my breathing steady and not become too erratic.

"Either you open your eyes or I will drag this knife down and down," he says and trails the sharp metal object down my old long-sleeved shirt, stopping right on the swell of my breast. "and I will press harder and harder until..." he leaves the sentence hanging, allowing me to draw the conclusion.

Until it pierces your skin, he wanted to say, though.

I take a shaky breath and finally speak up, "Fine," and then I open my eyes, slowly and carefully, afraid of what I might see. First, my eyes fall on black Oxford shoes polished to perfection and as I move them up I see muscled legs covered in black ironed-without-flaw pants, but when I reach the chest, I stop. Noticing this, he chuckles, a rich sound that should not belong to such a cruel man who'd kidnap someone. He returns the knife to under my chin and with a slight pressure there makes me look up and meet him dead in the eyes. 

Such beautiful eyes, yet cold, lifeless...

"There we go." he nods and finally puts the knife away. 

My body all but shakes with fear and I know he can notice that, too. He notices everything.

He gets up from the chair, standing well over six feet, and adjusts his pristine suit. After he's done, he circles around me, taunting me with his presence and... oh, that divine cologne.

He makes a halt right behind me. "This is how's going to be," he speaks, then, and as he does so his warm breath makes its way to the sensitive skin on my neck. "I ask you a question and you answer truthfully. I consider myself a gentleman and I don't want to torture a young lady to get information, but you either lie to me or refuse to answer, then I won't think twice to use my knife. And this time I won't be so gentle." His whisper resonates in my mind and I can't help but gulp out of fear. 

I only nod as an answer.

"Who do you work for?" he starts.

With a swift move, he turns around and now leans in front of me, his hands resting on the side of the chair and his face so close to mine the hot breath coming from him tingles my face. "Who do you work for?"

"I-I don't work for anyone," my voice is raspy because of the screaming and then from not speaking for hours. "Well, I worked for Louise, but she's just a libr-"

"You work for someone named Louise?" He cuts me off. "Is that a male or female? Where are they settled?"

"What? No, I don't work for Louise--I mean, I did, but she's just a librarian."

"Then who? The FBI? The CIA? The NSA? BATF?" His voice raises for an octave and he looks straight into my eyes.

"No one. I don't work for anyone anymore."

"Why do I get the feeling you're lying." His growl fills the small, unfurnished room, making me flinch like a little puppy.

"I am not," I raised my voice, but still fumbled over the words, feeling the fear and tension rise in me. The man only growls again, sending another wave of shivers along my spine. 

A couple of minutes pass and he's back to the cold man he was before, composure taking the reigns.

"You clearly were not listening to me before. Maybe the threats weren't enough, huh? Should I do it in another way? A more fun way perhaps?" goosebumps appear as he smiles wickedly.

"Monster!" I find the little bit of courage I have left in me and bare my teeth at him. Yet he acts unbothered.

"One last chance to give me the answer."

"What fucking answer?!" I yell now. He doesn't appreciate my tone, though, because I can see that his jaw is clenched in an uncomfortable way from anger.

"Don't play games with me, girl. You very well know what answer!" His Italian accent becomes more prominent and just from the look he's sending me, my spine stiffens against the hard chair.

"Again! I don't kno--" I start carefully before he cuts me off again.

"Don't try to lie to me! I know someone gives you the orders! And I know you don't work alone. My men saw your face the night at the docks. Your mask had been off and they got a perfect look at your face. Do you think I'm stupid not to search for you? You think I won't catch the person who's been killing my men!? But what I want to know is, who... gives you... those... kill orders?"

My mouth stays open from the confusion. What the hell is he talking about? Who kills his men?

"You can't get away now when I finally got you, Jade Maxwell."

Jade...!? 

What does my sister have with all this? How is she connected to the mafia... Wait a minute! The staying outside all night, the bruises on her face, the black and red outfit in the back of her closet--it all adds up now. She's been getting rid of the criminals!

My twin sister is a superhero!