📌12

(edited)

I reach the top floor of the apartment building just as Vince told me to do. He also said he'll know when I arrive but there's no sign of him. On what apartment door do I even knock? It's not like I can go from door to door asking where Vince lives because it's probably around two in the morning by now.

As I walk down the hallway and approach one of the last doors, something clicks behind me before a door creaks open and someone swoopsbme inside. I open my mouth to scream but a hand is put on my mouth and another hand holds my shoulders so that I won't move.

"It's Vince. Calm down." Remembering the male voice from the phone call from earlier, I let out a sigh of relief. Well, as relieved as I can be since I am with an unknown man in his apartment at two in the morning.

"How did you know it was me?" I ask Vince as soon as he frees me from his hold. My head turns around and with my body following, I can clearly see Vince even though the room has dimmed lights. To my surprise he's fairly young, maybe around twenty four or so. However, his messy, dark hair in combination with his sleepy brown eyes under which are a pair of dark circles them makes him appear older.

"I've been following you via the traffic cameras ever since the first call. The cameras in the lobby picked up your face. Face recognition really does help." Vince tells me with a smirk as if he's proud of his tracking skills.

Maybe he's proud, but I'm creeped out.

"Okay..." I say carefully as my eyes skim over his apartment.
There is just a kitchen and living room, a bathroom and a bedroom from what I can see but what intrigues me more are the computers he has in the corner of the apartment. There are three monitors connected together of which one follows the traffic cameras and the other two run programs unknown to me.

"Are you a hacker?" My lips speak my mind before I can think. It is blunt which makes Vince stare at me but doesn't give me an answer.

"You wanted me to find your twin so let's find her and get this over with. By the way, I hope you'll stay on your word and talk your sister out of killing me. I really don't wanna die young. That's the only reason I'm helping you right now. " Vince says to me and goes to sit in front of the monitors. I follow him behind. Then he starts typing on the keyboard repeatedly.

"Don't worry about that. You'll live. Why does Jade want to kill you anyway?"

Vince sighs before answering me." I may or may not have stolen some irrelevant files from the CIA. They sent your sis to hunt me down and retrieve the files."

"What are the files about?"

"You ask too many questions." Vince shuts me up and resumes tapping on the keyboard. "Make yourself at home, by the way."

Time passes as I observe him do his mojo-jojo on the computer. Vince uses different programs, codes and commands and whatnot to track my sister down. I may have even fallen asleep at some point. It didn't last long, though.

"For fuck's sake." After a while I hear Vince groan and I raise my head lazily from sofa I previously sat on to rest. Vince's clock on the wall says it's 5am already. The sun should be coming up any minute now, too.

"What? You found her?" Anyone can hear how my voice is groggy and sleepy.

"Still no. There are mentions of her all over the world. Different missions, sightings. I put trackers on her with the same face recognition I followed you, but they can't pick her up anywhere. And the CIA files of her have been deep cleaned. Or are removed from their servers. " He says frustratingly and let his head fall back as his hands rubbed the sleepiness off Vince's face.

"Well look harder then."

When Vince slowly turns to glare at me, I conclude it was the wrong thing to say. "You know, if you didn't promise me that your idiot sister won't kill me I wouldn't be helping you find her at four in the morning so shut the hell up."

I keep silent this time. He's right. He's helping me even despite the death flag on him and the least I can do is let him work without any distractions or urges.

My eyes feel heavy again and just as I am to actually fall back asleep, a thought comes racing in my brain. Jade'e encrypted phone dad mentioned a couple of weeks ago.

"Vince! Vince! I got it." Without a warning I jerk up and shout to catch Vince's attention. The poor guy jumps from his chair in fright and somehow manages to fall on his butt.

"What the hell is wrong with you, dude!? What? Why did you have to shout for god's sake? " he says as he gets up and rubs his sore butt all while keeping the glare towards me.

"Sorry... Anyway, I thought of something. Jade has a phone. My dad is an FBI agent and he found it in a warehouse where she has been hiding for a while but unfortunately it's encrypted and their forensics can't crack it." I tell him as I watch his expression turn to a more curious one.

"But why was Jade hiding? From whom?" Vince furrows his eyebrows and takes a seat on the chair as he waits for me to give him the answers.

"I have no idea. All I know is that after I got kidnapped Jade had disappeared, too, and no one knows where she is. That's why I want to find her. To figure out what the bloody hell is happening with our lives."

"You have been kidnapped?" Vince then asks me after I finish explaining to him. Was that all he heard from what I just said?

"Yeah. Long story. The good thing is I escaped and found you." As I say this, his eyes widen in horror before he gets up and goes to the window, slowly tugging the curtain to the side to see if anyone is there.

"Are you fucking kidding me? What if your kidnappers come looking for you? They'll find you here and think I helped you escape. Oh, god. They'll kill me. I thought I'd die by Jade but now someone else will kill me." Vince's panicky voice makes me panic, too.

What if Silvio has been notified of my escape? What if he's on his way here right now? Oh, shit.

"Calm down. No one will find me and no one will kill you... I hope." I say the last part under my breath to calm myself more than anything. I'm not so sure Silvio is not looking for me, but I have to make Vince feel safer.

Vince moves to the window again and peeks outside but as he does this his face loses its color. He turns to me, mouth slightly opened as if he is still comprehending what he has seen.

"There are cars outside. Three black SUVs." he says unusually slowly and quietly before returning to look out of the window and down on the street. "Oh, great. Dozen men exit the cars... aaaand they have guns. Excellent." Vince's calmness doesn't fit the words he's saying and it scares me so I move to the window, too.

"We're going to die." As Vince says this, I spot the man I was hoping I wouldn't.

"I haven't even tried churros and I'm going to die." Vince's whines bring me back to him. He is pacing around the room, his hands in his hair and his breathing irregular and labored. His pacing is making me feel dizzy.

"We should go. Now!" I say to him as I grab my bag and go to him to shake some sense into him when I see he's not moving at all.

"I only met you few hours ago and now I'm going to die with you." He continues mumbling sentences that aren't that relevant at this moment. What is important is that we need to escape.

"Grab your laptop and let's go. Vince!" I whisper yell at him when I hear heavy footsteps approaching in the hallway behind the door. Shit. Shit! They're close.

I have to slap Vince for him to snap out of his dying thoughts and cooperates with me on trying to escape. He grabs his laptop and puts it into a backpack before grabbing a jacket. A minute later we are climbing down the fire escape stairs.

"Willa!" When I hear Silvio's voice behind me, my heart stops for a millisecond there, but then starts to beat like crazy.

No. He can't catch me.

"Willa, there's no point in running. I'll catch you one way or another."

He won't catch me.