📌14

(edited)

As I wipe the blood from Vince's cut on his cheek, I can't help but hold myself responsible for the state he is in.

Just look at his face. His eye is swollen, his lip busted, there are cuts on his cheek, nose and eyebrow, a purple bruise has already formed on the other cheek and I'm guessing a rib or two are bruised because of his constant wincing with every little turn.

"I know that look." All of a sudden Vince comments, his voice hoarse and tired, and I move my eyes to meet his brown ones.

"What look?"

"That look right there. You think I'm like this because of you." He states, but hisses when the alcohol pad touches the open cut on his cheek. I don't like hurting him even more than he already is, but I have to clean it before putting a plaster on.

"Aren't I? I mean, if it weren't for me, you wouldn't be looking like a bloody and fucked up Christmas tree that's been driven over with a truck right now." I talk back, making him chuckle painfully.

"Oh, god, I feel like I've been hit by a truck. You're right. However, it's not your fault, Willa. Yeah, maybe you begged me to help you and even offered to die for me in a way, but that is not the real reason why I agreed to find Jade." He says and heaves a sigh as I furrow my eyebrows in a slight confusion.

"What do you mean? I thought you were just scared of her killing you." I ask him and continue to dab the pad on his cheek to wipe all the dried out blood.

"I still am, but that's not the point. It's because of my sister."

"Your sister?" I try to understand Vince. How's his sister connected with all this now?

"Yeah. Savanna was working with Jade, I think. She was also a CIA agent and two years ago she was killed on an undercover op. Or at least that's what they told me. I did a little digging and found out that in fact she was killed by a fellow agent. However, I still can't find out who killed her or why." As Vince explains his face shows more and more sadness and sorrow, his voice becoming quieter.

"I'm sorry, Vince." I say when a tear escapes his non-swollen eye, but he quickly wipes it off.

"It's fine." He sniffles and puts a smile on his face like nothing happened. "I look like a wussy now, don't I?"

"Nah." I reply as the air around us is filled with our silent laughs.

"I just wanna find her killer, y'know. Just like you're set on finding Jade. When you called and mentioned Jade, I remembered she is also an agent and I hoped you two can help me with that somehow. And you can make her promise not to kill me, too. "

"When we find Jade I promise you we'll catch Savanna's killer."

***

Vince and I have been glued to the laptops ever since I cleaned him up, which was around seven hours ago. He showed me how to search for Jade using face recognition and the traffic cameras all over the world. If any camera picked up her face it binged. Up to now, we got a several hits but they were all people who looked close to Jade. Two of Silvio's men have been guarding us from the start, too, in fear of using the laptops for something else.

"I'm gonna go to the kitchen. You want anything?" I stand up from the sofa, stretching my back and legs, and ask Vince who looks half asleep already.

"Coffee, please. If I keep my eyes open for one more hour my body will shut down automatically."

"Okay. I'll be right back." With that, I walk straight to the kitchen and Randy follows me. It's past midnight and all the lights in this enormous house are turned off except for some lamps, but there's enough light for me to see where I'm walking and not bump into a door.