Chapter Fifty-Nine

Chapter Fifty-Nine - Final Preparations

*Genevieve*

After a busy night spent prepping for the upcoming battle, I finally was able to take a moment to myself. Stepping outside and onto the back deck, I watched as the birds flew by, tweeting with each other as they flew past the house, the green trees rustling with the gentle wind.

"Alice said earlier that there was a storm coming in," Rose said, stepping outside onto the deck and slowly moving to stand beside me. The two of us fall silent once more, looking out at the vast forest that surrounded the house and trying to find just a moment of peace to bask in before we had to go and fight.

I nodded my head, keeping my eyes closed as I tilted my head up towards the sky. For the first time in a few days, I felt myself relax, the tension leaving my body and allowing me to relish in the peace that I had found.

Silently, Rose loops her arm with mine and leans her head onto my shoulder. I rest my head on top of hers, continuing to look out on the woods and enjoying the moment of peace that we had found.

______________________

"As much as I hate to break this beautiful moment up, we have a battle to fight in."

Rose and I both lift our heads and glance behind us, eyebrows arched.

Emmett snickers as he leans against the door, "I also was feeling a little jealous of you Gen."

"I can't help it that your wife is so stunningly beautiful," I smirk alongside her and pull her close to me, wrapping my arms around her.

"Aww, if you keep this up I may just leave Emmett for you," Rose giggles and wraps her arms around me.

"Don't worry Emmett, if Rosalie leaves you then I'll leave Gen for you," Theo steps up beside him and pats his shoulder. "Us guys have to stick together."

"That's right!" Emmett huffs and crosses his arms smugly, "how's it feel Gen? You steal my wife, I steal your husband! He's mine now!"

"You can take him and all his plants," I say, blowing Theo a kiss before waving and dragging Rose towards the house. "Come on, Rosie! Let's go make out somewhere."

"You know I would love nothing more," Rose giggles and follows me through the house.

We both throw our heads back as we race up the stairs, leaving Emmett and Theo to scramble after us. 

______________________

"All ready?" Theo popped his head into the room and smiled when he saw me.

Rose had left the room a few minutes ago and headed back towards her room to change. Before she left, she had joked with me that Emmett would be pouting for the rest of the day.

After she had left, I had changed into a pair of dark blue- almost black- leggings and a white sports top. By the time that Theo had come in, I was finishing tying my shoes and was ready to go.

"Wait, wait, wait," Theo scurried from the door into the closet, disappearing for a second before coming back into view and pulling an oversized shirt onto my body. "Just in case."

I nodded my head, intertwining our hands before walking out of the room and starting towards the living room, where we were meeting the rest of the family.

"How long until we head out?" I ask, looking over at Carlisle and Jasper.

"Only a few minutes," Jasper said, "Edward left with Bella and Jacob last night."

"That must've been a fun night for Eddie boy," I mutter, wrapping an arm around Theo's waist and resting my head on his shoulder. "Stuck in a tent with the boy that Isabella may or may not have feelings for, but who is definitely in love with her. Oof."

______________________

After a few more minutes of waiting, we had all started towards the clearing. Racing through the forest for what felt like only a few seconds before coming to stop in the open and isolated clearing in the woods.

My hands twitched slightly as I looked around, trying to get a feel for the layout of the land. Glancing to my left, I noticed a large collection of rocks that were piled in one corner and made sure to make a mental note to not get cornered into it. If I did it would most likely lead towards my death.

"Genevieve!" Theo called out, quickly leaving his conversation with Carlisle and Esme to find me. "You'll be okay, right? You won't do anything stupid?"

I chuckle as I lean forward, resting my forehead against his, and closing my eyes as I sigh. "I won't do anything stupid, promise."

He nods his head and leans away, pecking my forehead before looking down at me, the worry for my safety clear across his face.

"You know you'll create wrinkles with all the worrying you do," I poke the tip of his nose and smile softly when I see his face relax.

"Well, it's a good thing that my gorgeous face can never wrinkle," Theo smirks towards me and presses a quick kiss to my cheek.

"Aren't I lucky then."

"Edward talked about you going up to help him on the mountain when the fighting dies down a bit here," he mumbled, looking down at me for confirmation.

"Yeah, just to make sure that he and Seth are okay," I say.

Both of us intertwined our hands and begin to slowly walk back towards the rest of the family. Everyone was stuck in their respective conversation, enjoying the last few minutes that we had together. No one said it but we all knew that there was a small chance that someone could get injured in the heat of the battle. It was a thought that we all had to be aware of from the beginning of knowing that there was going to be a fight, especially one where we would be against newborns.

"How much longer, Alice?" Emmett asks, cracking his knuckles as he watches at the spot where she had previously said that the newborns would come out from.

"Only a few minutes," she replied calmly.

Jasper moves from his spot beside Rose and steps next to her as she snapped out of her vision.

Everyone's body tensed as they turned to look towards the same spot, doing their final steps to ready themselves for the fight. Each of our eyes locked onto the spot that Alice said they would come rushing out of, our ears listening for any possible audial hints for their impending arrival.

I tensed as I prepared to run forward, the sound of foliage being run over making my eyes narrow slightly and my fists clench.

_______

hope that everyone had a wonderful and safe Christmas! 🎄
don't forget to comment and vote!
-T