[2.7]

Chapter Seven - Dead

*Genevieve*

A little over four months had passed since we had left the rest of the Cullens in Ithica and Theo and I had slowly gotten used to the thousands of miles that separated us from the rest of our little family. Spending our time living out our best, Bella-free life, in our safe little bubble, heading out into the woods to hunt every few days, and going into town at night to sightsee.

I let out a groan as I rolled over on the couch and grabbed my phone, which had been going off for the past five minutes. My hope for whoever was calling to give up had been lost after about three minutes of listening to the phone continuously ring.

Theo quickly walked into another room and began to pack a bag for our next late-night outing.

"Tanya?" I say, picking up the phone, my brown furrowing in confusion. "What's up? Is everything okay?"

"Genevieve!" Tanya exclaimed, her voice flooding with relief at the sound of my voice on the other side of the phone. "Please, please, please tell me that you didn't know anything about Laurent dying."

"Laurent?" I ask, my eyes meeting Theo's, the confusion clear in both of our eyes. "No, Theo and I have been in France for months now. We haven't heard anything about Laurent. Why? What happened?"

"He's dead. Irina's absolutely furious- wants to get revenge." Tanya explained, her voice laced with worry and fear at what Irina may do in anger of her mate dying.

"We'll come and stay with you guys for a while," I said, sharing a glance with Theo, who nodded his head and quickly sped off for the room, packing our bags while I continued to talk to Tanya.

______________________

Running up to the snowy house not even a day later, I quickly dropped my things and tackled Tanya into a hug, both of us falling into the snow.

"Tanya!"

"Genevieve!" she laughed, wrapping her arms around me. Both of us stood up, looping our arms together as we looked around. Theo happily talking to Kate and Eleazer, Carmen, and a depressed-looking Irina made their way over to me. Carmen pulled me into a motherly hug and checked me over just like Esme would do.

"How are you, Genevieve? I heard you were with Theo in Paris?" She inquired, her eyes glinting with mischief. 

"Carmen!" I scold, playfully hitting her arm. "It's good to see you. You as well Irina. I'm sorry to hear about Laurent, he seemed like a nice man."

She nodded and sent me a small thankful smile, her blond hair shining in the Alaskan sun. Her face was pale- more so than usual- and it seemed sunken in. The pain of losing Laurent was apparent in her appearance too, the clothes she wore were shabbier. A pair of looser grey sweatpants and an old t-shirt, which was covered up with a fashionable fur-lined jacket that someone must've forced her into.

"Alice is going to freak out when she finds out that she missed welcoming you back. She thought you would take longer to get here," Tanya explained, quickly leading me into the house. It still looked the same as the last time I had visited, only a few of the paintings switched out.

"Alice is here?" I say, turning my head towards her in surprise. "She never told me."

"She got here a few weeks ago, she and Jasper wanted to be able to go out freely. Without the fear of people seeing them glitter in the day," Tanya continued. I nodded my head in understanding as we made our way into the living room, quickly sitting down on the couch and continuing to talk.