Chapter Sixty-One

Chapter Sixty-One - The Volturi

*Genevieve*

Coming to a stop at the edge of the clearing, I looked around at the countless small bonfires that had been created by the firewood that Emmett and Theo were collecting and the bodies of the countless newborns that had been killed by us all.

"Genevieve!" Theo screamed, dropping the firewood and immediately rushing over to me. His eyes were wide as he frantically looked me over, checking for any new injuries that would've been formed from my fight with Victoria and Riley. The only injury that I had taken was from the newborn towards the beginning of the fight. The cracks from his vice-like grip were still evident on my neck but weren't severe enough to need venom to heal, which caused Theo to let out a sigh of relief.

As he looked me over, I, in turn, did the same to him, noting his ripped jacket, a few new bites added to his arms. Grimacing, I carefully picked up his arm and looked over them, before looking back up at his face.

"You okay?" I ask nervously, watching as he nodded his head, pressing a kiss to the top of my head reassuringly.

"I've had worse."

I hated that he said that.

Slowly we both moved to stand next to Rose, who offered me a relieved hug when she saw me relatively uninjured. After our greetings, all of us stood silent as we watched as the fires burn, the countless bodies of the newborns slowly burning away into nothing but a pile of ash. Theo wraps his arm around my waist reassuringly, rubbing circles into my hip as I rest my head on his chest.

"How long?" Edward asked, joining the rest of the family with Bella standing right behind him. Their hands were intertwined and hung loosely at their sides.

"A few minutes," Alice offered, "maybe 10?"

"The pack needs to leave," Carlisle announced, "the Volturi won't honor a truce with the werewolves."

We all looked back at the pack in question and watched as Jacob emerged, uninjured, from the treeline. Looking over at a different member of his pack, the two seemed to hold a silent conversation before their attentions were grabbed by a quiet rustle in the trees behind them. Their large bodies tensed as they crept closer towards the sound, after a few seconds a single newborn emerged from the treeline, their eyes wide as they looked around.

"Leah, don't!" Edward yelled, dropping his hand from Bella's he raced over to help her.

The wolf, Leah, quickly raced forward to kill it but was caught by the newborn, who wrapped his hands around her neck. All of our eyes widened as we watched Jacob run over to her, grabbing the newborn, and flinging him off of her, causing the both of them to fly through the air.

After roughly landing back on the dirt, Jacob stood back and raced forwards an in attempt to kill him, but like Leah, ended up with the newborn's arms around him. As the newborn squeezed, Jacob let out a whimper as his body was crushed in the newborn's strong grip. With a victorious smile, the newborn let his limp body fall forward, arms open wide with pride before he was quickly taken down by a duo of wolves.

"Jacob!" Bella screamed out, she raced over to him and watched in horror as he rolled on the ground in agony.

Carlisle followed quickly after her, leaving Esme as he rushed to try and help the boy.

"Jacob. Hold on, Carlisle's gonna take care of you," Edward whispered, trying to ease the boy's pain. Edward glanced up at Carlisle with fearful eyes as he listened to his father's racing thoughts.

"The bones on the right half of his body are shattered," Carlisle announced, carefully assessing him with a feather-like touch, not wanting to worsen his pain. The pack hastily emerged out from the trees and rushed over to Jacob, each of them wincing when they listened to his moan of agony.