𝐅𝐢𝐟𝐭𝐲-𝐓𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞

CHAPTER FIFTY-THREE:RISK AND REWARD

RISK AND REWARD

ELAINE WALKED INTO THE HOSPITAL, a bag of food in her hand as she looked around. Scott and Stiles had went off to a party, and Lydia and Allison were trying to figure something out about a mark that had been placed on both of their wrists. Meanwhile, Elaine decided to bring her mother some food and eat with her. Melissa walked towards the front desk when she saw Elaine, giving her a questioning look before Elaine held up the bag of food.

They sat down in the cafeteria, pulling out the Chinese food and starting to eat in a comfortable silence. Melissa glanced at her daughter before noticing the black ink that lined her wrist. The woman cocked her head slightly before deciding to ask.

     "Is that. . . a tattoo?" Melissa questioned.

     Elaine glanced at her before glancing down at the ink, before looking at her mother once more and nodding her head. "Uh. . . yeah, it is." She carefully showed her wrist to her mother who carefully grabbed onto her child's wrist, examining to for a moment. "Are you mad?"

     "No, I'm not mad. You're almost eighteen. If it were the biggest tattoo in the world then hell yeah I'd be mad, but it's small, and I like it. What made you decide to get that one in particular?"

     Elaine pursed her lips for a moment before letting out a soft sigh. "Mom. . . there's something I didn't tell you." Melissa frowned and Elaine swallowed thickly. "Something happened to me last year. And it's the reason why I became what I am."

     "I thought being a. . . a witch was in your blood line?"

     "No, it is." Elaine nodded. "But my powers weren't supposed to come to me until I turned eighteen."

     "I don't understand. . ."

     "Mom, I was killed." Elaine quickly ripped the band aid off, watching as her mother's eyes grow wide. "Before you ever knew about the supernatural, and before I had ever become a witch, the Alpha was attacking. Scott was there. And I didn't want the chance of him getting hurt, so I jumped in, and the Alpha clawed my throat, and I bled out." Elaine closed her eyes before muttering a spell, revealing the three slash marks that were scarred across her neck. Melissa covered her mouth in shock and Elaine quickly made them disappear again.

     "Then how. . ."

     "Rebekah brought me back." Elaine told her. "I know that you've just gotten used to the whole supernatural being real thing, but I don't know how much longer I could've kept that from you. You're my mother, and you deserved to know the truth. So, that's what the tattoo means. The heartbeat to prove that I'm alive, and I'm still here. The saying means. . . well, exactly what it says. To just take one day at a time. It means a lot to me."

     "I'm sorry I couldn't be there for you." Melissa whispered, tears in her eyes.

     "Mom, don't cry." Elaine shook her head, reaching over and wiping the tear from her face. "I'm here now. And I want you to know that I am me. I'm still your daughter even though I did die for twenty-four hours. I hope I didn't put too much on you. . ."