𝐅𝐢𝐟𝐭𝐲-𝐒𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧

CHAPTER FIFTY-SEVEN:NOT HEALING

NOT HEALING

SHE SAT IN FRONT OF Stiles and Scott, her face void of any emotion as she recalled the actions of last night. But she didn't regret it. She was drained. Her wounds weren't healing right, but they didn't need to know that. So, she sat there with her head leaning against the bus seat, praying that Stiles wouldn't detect anything that was wrong. She hadn't realized what she was doing. Hell, she didn't even know what it was that she had done until she realized what it was. While protecting her brother, a linking spell had fallen through her head, and without her even realizing it, it had activated, linking her and her brother together.

Now whenever he was hurt, she was. But it was more complex then that. The longer they were linked, the longer that she felt drained. She was a witch, not a werewolf. She couldn't heal like Scott, so the girl was practically bleeding out. But was she going to let anyone know this? Of course not. Elaine listened as Stiles gave her brother words to define, studying as he requested for them in a sentence before defining them.

     "Anachronism."

     "Something that exists out of its normal time." Scott answered, sounding exhausted.

     "Nice! Okay, next word―︎incongruous."

     "Uh, can you use it in a sentence?" Scott requested.

     "Yes. Yes, I can! It's completely incongruous that we're sitting on a bus right now, on our way to some stupid cross-country meet, after what just happened. Incongruous."

     "Out of place, ridiculous, absurd." Scott answered.

     "Perfect. Okay, next word. Um. . . Darach. Darach. It's a noun." Stiles sighed. "We have to talk about it sometime, okay? And we're gonna be stuck in this thing for, like, five hours, so why not?" Scott didn't say anything and he sighed again. "Next word, intransigent."

     "Stubborn, obstinate."

     They hit a bump and Elaine winced as did Scott. She closed her eyes tightly, the pain shooting all throughout her body but she clenched he jaw tightly. "Oh, buddy, you okay?" Stiles shook his head. "We shouldn't have come. I knew it―︎we shouldn't have come."

     "We had to. There's safety in numbers." Scott argued.

     "Yeah, well, there's also death in numbers, okay? It's called a massacre. Or bloodbath. . . carnage. . . slaughter. . . butchery. . . Wow, that's. . ." Scott let out a groan. "All right, I'm telling Coach that―︎"

     "No, no, no, no, I'm all right."

     "Well, you don't look all right! And neither does Elaine, even though she thinks I don't notice." Stiles called, making Elaine squeeze her eyes shut. "Would you just let me see it?"