𝐄𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭

CHAPTER EIGHT:A WOLF?

CHAPTER EIGHT:
A WOLF?

ELAINE SAT ON THE METAL table, regretting this work shift at the clinic. Of course, she had gotten there before her brother seeing as Lydia had been kind enough to drop her off. She looked up however when Scott entered.

"Sorry, sorry." He apologized.

"You're all of two minutes late." Dr. Deaton replied to him, the man looking through a box of stuff.

"I just don't want you to think I'm slacking." Scott told the man.

"Scott, I guarantee you, you're one of the least slacking kids in this town." Dr. Deaton spoke. The door opened again and Elaine was quick to jump down upon noticing Sheriff Stilinski. She smiled at the man whilst Scott's eyes widened slightly.

"Hey, I see somebody's ready to get their stitches out." Dr. Deaton spoke whilst Elaine gently placed the dog on the table, rubbing its fur with a small smile.

"Hey there Scott, Laine, you two staying out of trouble?" The sheriff questioned.

"Always." Elaine smiled whilst Scott responded with a simple "yeah".

"El?" Dr. Deaton questioned. Immediately Elaine smiled before going around the other side of the table and getting what she needed in order to take the stitches out from the animal.

"Hey, listen, while I'm here, you mind taking a look at those pictures I was telling you about? Sacramento still can't determine an animal." Sheriff Stilinski handed the doctor a set of pictures, whilst Elaine gently unwrapped the bandage from the dogs ankle.

"I'm not exactly an expert." Deaton responded before looking at the pictures. "This is the guy who was attacked in the bus?"

"Yeah." He answered. Elaine glanced towards Scott who seemed alarmed at this, making her swallow thickly before focusing back on the dog. "And we found wolf hairs on Laura Hale's body."

"A wolf?" Scott questioned, grabbing the two adults attention as well as Elaine. She saw the slight fear that ran in his eyes, and she realized why he was so panicked. Or at least, she thought she realized. "I mean, I think I read somewhere that wolves haven't been in California for, like, 60 years."

"True enough, but wolves are highly migratory. They could have wandered in from another state driven by impulse or strong enough memory." Deaton told the boy as he walked to stand beside the sheriff and doctor.

"Wolves have memories?" Scott questioned.

"Longer-term memory, yes." Deaton nodded. "If associated with a primal drive. See this one here?"

"Yeah." The sheriff nodded.

"Those are claw marks. A wolf would have gone for the throat or the spinal cord with its teeth." Deaton explained.