Chapter 34

Well, that was a hectic chapter, hehe... I think you just want to know what's going on so let's just get into it!

--- --- --- --- --- --- 

Emery's POV

I left. I actually left. Like for real. 

Dear God...

What have I done? This is the right thing. Right? Yes. Yes, it is.

I walk back to the bus stop where I see a familiar face.

"Michael?" I ask.

"Emery? Oh, hi!" He hugs me. Wow, he's friendly. He has jeans and a 'The Walking Dead' t-shirt on him.

"Hi! What are you doing here?"

"Just buying some stuff for my friends back in England. They made me promise to buy them souvenirs." He laughs.

"Oh, you're leaving?"

"Yeah, can't stay here forever."

I nod. "Hey... Want to grab a coffee?" 

"Yeah, sure." He looks around. "Perfect. What about there?" He points to the café where Jake is sitting.

"Oh, no... I don't like their- Ehh... Chai latte." I nervously say. I'm such a bad liar.

"Okay, I guess we'll find some other place." He looks around some more. "There's a place on that corner. How's their chai latte?" He smiles.

"No idea. I've never been there." I smile back.

"Great. Let's go." 

We walk towards the other café and it honestly looks really cozy. Why haven't I've been here before? 

He holds the door open for me and we go inside and find a table.

"Wow, I forgot how many coffee drinks we have in America." He laughs and looks at the menu. A waitress comes by and asks if we're ready to order. 

"I'll have a flat white and she'll have a chai latte." The waitress writes it down and leaves us. "I know you didn't say anything but I figured that you wanted the chai latte."

"I did want it." I laugh. "So. More about you. How are things in England?"

"Amazing. I absolutely love it over there. The people, the school, my friends. The weather can be tricky but hey, I can't control the weather." He laughs. 

He laughs a lot. I like his laugh.

"Let me guess, if you could control the weather you'd have summer all year long?"

"Nope. Winter. Cold air, snow, knowing Christmas is almost there, sitting by the fireplace and reading. Just love it."

"You like to read?"

"Big time. I love the smell of a new book."

"Really? Me too! It's amazing!" We both laugh.

Time went on faster than I thought and before I knew it I was at home in my bed scrolling through my phone. I can't believe it's Monday soon. 

Which means school...

Which means Jake...

* * *

I hate school.

And now that the day I dreaded most is here, I don't want to get out of bed. Shocker right?

I force, actually force, myself out of bed and in the shower. I wash my hair and just stand there, letting the water run down on me. 

"Emery! More people have to use the shower!" I hear Auden from outside.

"5 minutes!" I yell back.

In my room again I pull out a plain black skirt with a light blue shirt. Plain and boring.

Just like my life.

Hahaha, kidding. Just kidding... Haha...

Luckily mom opens the door, distracting me from... Well, everything.

"Hey, honey! What's going on?" She says and sits down on my bed.

"Nothing, I'm good." I smile.

"No, you're not."

"What?"

"Emery. Honey. I'm your mom. I know when there's something off with my daughter." She pats the bed and moves over so I can sit.

"Okay. I'm not good. I'm nothing at the moment."

"What happened? Is this about the funeral?"

"No, no... It's Jake. He... Did something."

"Emery, did he... Hurt you?" She gets serious.

"NO! No. Not physically anyway..." She looks at me, waiting for me to continue. "His friend said that I... Did things to Jake in the men's bathroom one day at school and when I went to confront Jake about it, he was on his friend's side and said that it did happen. And then I smelled the alcohol..."

"What exactly did he say...?"

"That I... Went down on him..."

"HE SAID WHAT?!" 

"Shh! Be quiet! I don't want dad to find out!"

"WHY NOT?!"

"Mom you know how he is. This is a battle I want to handle on my own."

She looks at me for a while and stays quiet.

"Please don't mention this to da-"

"Mention what?" Of course...

"Hi, dad... Ehh, nothing."

"No, I definitely heard 'please don't mention this to'-"

"Period cramps. We're talking about period cramps and Emery is not comfortable speaking about that with you." Mom quickly says.

"Yes. Period cramps." I reply.

"Oh... Yeah, can't really relate there." He laughs. "I'll leave you women to it then." And he leaves. 

"Thank you." I say to mom.

"You're welcome. But remember, you can always come to me if you need anyone to talk to."

"I know." I say and hug her. "But I really have to go now." I hug her one last time and gather my things.

Once I'm finally at school it feels different. Ally's not here, she took some days off to be with her mom and when Ally's not here I usually hang out with Jake. But that's not an option anymore...

I start walking to the entrance when someone pokes me from behind.

"Hey. You looked lonely." Andrea smiles.

"Oh! You scared me." I laugh. "Yeah... Ally's still home and Jake- Well, Jake's out of the picture."

"I'm sorry... I really thought he would change with you."

"Yeah, well- So did I."

We walk into school and notice that we have a lot of lessons together. Why haven't I seen her before? Not that I looked anywhere else except the blackboard. And maybe Jake.

God! I can't even go one minute without thinking about him.

Stop it, Emery!

"Thinking about him?" Andrea says as she gets her books from the locker.

"You're good." I laugh. "And yeah..."

"Then I don't think this will help..." She looks behind me and I beg all the gods to freeze me in my spot. I am not turning around, because if I do... 

"Let's go." I say and walk straight ahead with Andrea beside me. 

I turn my head a little and see him. He looks terrible. I feel so ba- NO! No, I don't! Keep walking Emery.

And that's exactly what I do.

--- --- --- --- --- ---

Well... Wow... 

Thoughts?