Chapter 54

Emery's POV

They look so happy. 

So, so happy.

I can't begin to explain how happy I am for them. I hate the fact that Auden had to hide his sexuality, not for long but still, but now he's engaged. My little brother is engaged!

"Emery?" Oliver's dad, Trevor, cuts me off from my thoughts. "Would you like some more coffee?"

"Oh, no. I'm fine, thanks." I say and he gives me a smile back and goes to refill mom's cup.

"So-" He sits down. "When's the wedding?" Both Auden and Oliver start laughing.

"We JUST got engaged. We'll start planning soon but right now we just want to spend some time as fiancé and fiancé." Auden says and looks at Oliver, he smiles and nods.

"Okay then, but when you do start planning, don't hesitate to come to me for help. I am something of a great planner if I can say so myself."

"HA! Yeah right!" His wife yells. "If they left the wedding to you they would never get married, you suck at planning." She laughs and he looks offended. "Love you." She adds and he starts smiling. They seem like such a lovely couple, and they did an amazing job raising Oliver. 

Before I can finish my thoughts I get interrupted by my phone ringing. "Excuse me." I say and head to the kitchen. 

"Hey, Ally."

"Hey, Emery... Ehm, what are you doing right now?" She asks, there's a lot of noise in the background.

"I'm with my family, why?" I say and she stays quiet, still a lot of noise in the background. "Where are you?"

"Yeah, sorry, hi. I'm at a pub but ehm... Look, is it important?"

"Is what important?"

"The family thing you're at?"

"Yeah, kind of. Why? Ally what's going on?"

"Okay, I won't beat around the bush anymore. I came here with a friend when, after a while, I heard a familiar voice."

"Okay?"

"It's Jake Emery. And he's drunk, like really drunk. He's saying all of these things and-"

"Ally what exactly do you want me to do with that information? Isn't his fiancé there or anything?" I ask annoyed. Should I be annoyed?

"No, he's here by himself. But you should come."

"Why Ally, I won't be of any help."

"He's kind of... Talking about you." 

I freeze. "Talking about me? Saying what exactly?"

"Listen for yourself-" She says and for a second it's quiet but then I hear a loud crash.

"Oops... Hahaha, sorry man. Put it on my t-tab."  Jake? He sounds completely out of it.

"You know... I once knew a girl *hiccup* God... This girl-" He laughs. "-she was just amazing *hiccup* They say you have a f-few heartbreaks before you meet your love life- love of you're life- but fuck *hiccup* I never believed it until now."

Wait I- So he's saying that he has met the love of his life now? Or that I was-

"You have to come and help him." Ally cuts me off from my thoughts once again.

I sigh. "Ally I haven't met the man in five years."

"I know but even before, you were the only one that could calm him down. Please just get here."

She hangs up before I can say anything else. 

"Hey!" Auden walks in. "What's going on?"

"I honestly have no idea." I sigh again. "Would you hate me if I left now?"

"What? No." He laughs. "If you have to go you have to go. We're good, you're still invited to the wedding."

"Oh, ha ha." I say and hug him. I walk back to the living room and say my goodbyes, I tell them that Ally needed my help with something urgent. I mean, it's partially true. 

I have to take the bus since we came here together in one car, the waiting and the ride takes about 25 minutes but I'm finally here. 

 After showing my ID to the man by the door I'm welcomed in. It doesn't take me more than two seconds to spot Jake, I make my way towards him when Ally shows up before me.

"You came!" She says and hugs me. "He's very close to being thrown out. I really have to leave but I waited for you, I know we don't really like him but friends or not, I can't just leave a person like this. And I know that you're not close now but just make sure he gets home safe."

"Yeah, I can't leave a person like this either. I'll make it quick, I'll just take him home and then leave after. I can call you later." I hug her and she leaves the pub. 

Building up some courage and taking a deep breath I walk to his booth. He's sitting all alone and laughing. Don't ask me about what cause I don't have the slightest idea.

His smile disappears the second he sees me and his body stiffens.

"Emily." He slurs. "Long time n-no see."

"It's Emery but you already know that." I say. He smiles and moves aside, patting the spot next to him for me to sit. "No, we should leave-"

"Sit! I order you. L-let's order some drinks." He's worse than on the phone. 

He tries to stand up but he trips over the foot of the table immediately so I slid my arm around his waist to steady him and sit him back on the booth. He grips my arm so I can't move and our faces are just inches apart.

"I forgotn how beautiful you are." His breath hits my face and the smell of alcohol is all around me. I try to move away again but he straightens his back so that we're even closer. "You're really different aren't you?" I stay silent. The effect he has on me is strong. I hate it but I can't deny it. He looks over my shoulder and let's me go, slouching back down.

"Is this man bothering you?" The bartender asks me. This situation must look weird to those around us.

"No! I ehm... He's a friend of mine, I'll help him get home." I say and smile to the man who looks at us for a while longer and then walks away.

"Friends huh? That's all?" I turn back around to see Jake sit there and smirk. 

"You have a fiancé Jake." I say to remind him... And myself.

His smirk quickly turns into a flat mouth and he looks away, muttering something to himself.

"Look, we have to leave. The bus will be here soon." I say and take his coat, but as I do so his car keys fall out.

"You- you drove here?"

"It's car keys isn't it?" I'd forgotten his humor.

"What, did you expect to drive home too?"

"Well, yeah. But then I got a bit drunk." He giggles like a schoolgirl.

"A bit?" I raise my eyebrows.

He laughs. "A big bit." Jesus...

"Come on, we're leaving." I say and grab his arm to support him. 

"You're not driving my car."

--- --- --- --- --- ---

I've missed it so much to write about Emery and Jake! I miss them, ugh!