Chapter 62

Emery's POV 

I still can't believe it. I know that my feelings are no longer here, I know that I don't love him but he could've just told me that he wanted to break up. No need for this.

*Missed call from Michael*

Michael: Could you come back? Can we at least talk about it?

Me: No, Michael. We can't. This is just for the better. 

Why am I just making this harder? I tap his name and then the "Call" button.

"Hey, Emery look-"

"No. Michael let me speak. We were happy, we were very happy but we both know that those feelings went out the window a long time ago. I can't pinpoint the exact moment but I just know that I don't have them anymore, and I can be sure that you don't have them either." Silence follows. "Am I right or am I wrong?"

"You're not wrong. I just... I didn't know how to tell you."

"Yeah, well, cheating didn't exactly make it better did it?"

"No, I'm sorry Emery. I really am but she's so... I feel alive with her and she's always-"

"Michael, you don't have to explain, I- I know what you mean." I do know what he means. I loved Michael once, he was the only one for me, but Jake has never fully left my mind. He's always been back there somewhere, and I've always known that my feeling for him never left either. They're too strong, we may have been young when we met but we're adults now. If Jake would've just been 'a silly crush' for me, that would've ended long ago. But it's been dragging on for years now, he's the love of my life. And I hate that it took me so long to figure it out. but I know now, I know.

"You met someone didn't you?"

"Long ago yes, and I can't let him go. Look, I don't like how things ended with us but I'll forgive you. You treated me like shit these last few weeks but I don't have it in me to hold a grudge. I don't have the time to be mad at someone. We weren't happy Michael, let us be happy."

"Let us be happy."

A smile forms on my lips. "Goodbye Michael."

"Goodbye Emery. And I really am sorry, you deserve better."  With that, the call ended. I'm not sad or even upset, I'm... Relieved. 

It feels like a huge weight has been lifted from my shoulders. Did I really feel so trapped in that relationship? I'm so happy I could cry. But I don't. A small reminder pops up in my head... Does Jake know about Ava? He said something about her cheating to me but does he know that it's with Michael? No, he can't. We were in the same shop earlier, he'd rip his head off if he knew. And even if-

My thoughts get cut off by another incoming call.

"Hey, mom."

"Hi, honey! Are you home soon? There's a lot to do and not so much time. We need all hands available. Could you check with Ally and Andrea if they can help?"

"Yeah, sure. I'll be home in a few minutes."

"Thank you, see you soon then. I love you."

"I love you."

About twenty minutes later I'm home with Ally and Andrea. Mom put us in the decorations section, we're folding paper flowers. "Hey, ehh. Can we talk?" I ask them. Everyone else is either in the living room or outside so it's just us for the moment. Easier to tell them now. 

"Yes, of course. Is everything okay?"

"Yes and no." They give me confused looks. "Before I start, please try to keep your voices down." They nod and scoot closer. "Michael and I broke up."

"WHAT?! WHEN DID THIS HAPPEN?!"

"WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL US SOONER?!" They said in unison, Jesus. 

"Would you shut up!" I whisper. "I said keep your voices down!"

"Sorry, but can you blame us?" Andrea said.

"You broke up with Michael?" Ally chimes in.

"Yeah. We fell out of love. Nothing bad, we're still friends- I think. No bad feelings anyway." They sit there quietly. "Too much to take in?"

"You could say that..." Andrea says.

"I'm sorry you guys, but we weren't happy-"

"Don't apologize! You should be happy in a relationship Emery. But damn, just before the wedding too." Ally takes my hands. "As long as you're happy with your decision."

"I am, I really am." 

"How's it going here, girls?" Mom comes in with some food and water. "Everything okay?"

"It's going great, we just have a few left. How's everything going for you?" I ask.

"Very good, we're actually done. Everything's organized and ready for tomorrow so we sent Oliver home already, bad luck to see the groom too much before the wedding." She laughs. "I'm going to put Jaelyn to bed. Have fun, and thank you two for helping." 

"I helped too."

"Yes, but you're my daughter. You have to." She laughs and waves goodbye.

"You're not going to tell them?" Ally asked. "About Michael and everything?"

"No, not yet. Not before the wedding."

"What if they ask about him tomorrow? Which they will." Andrea chimes in.

"I'll just say that he got sick or something. I don't want to ruin Auden's day. This will be all about him. And Oliver of course."

We put that topic to rest and finished up with the decorations. Ally and Andrea headed home at about seven and I went to shower. As I get back to my bed from the shower I see my phone light up from the nightstand.

*Incoming call from Jake*

"Hello?"

"Come outside."

"What?"

"Just come."

With that, he hung up on me. What the hell? I quickly put on my pajamas and walk downstairs to the front door. Fortunately, everyone's in bed, everyone wants as many hours of sleep as possible for tomorrow. I sneak outside and close the door behind me, where is he? 

"Hey-"

"Jesus!" I scream as he appears from behind the tree. "Don't do that! And why were you behind the tree? Stalker much?"

He laughs, a real Jake Evans laugh. God, I've missed those.

"Sorry! Sorry, I just... There was this fly thing that followed me."

"You were scared of a fly so you hid behind a tree?"

"Sounds about right. Manly isn't it?" A laugh escapes me before I can react and I see him smile. 

"Why are you here?" I ask. He reaches out and hands me a brown bag. "What's this?"

"Open it."

Confused, I reach into the bag and pull out... "Omg, I can't believe I forgot it! You bought it?"

"Of course I did."

"Jake- Thank you."

He smiles. "Wouldn't want you to go to a wedding without a dress." 

I can't believe he bought the dress for me. Or that he came here to give it to me. "I could've come to you and get it you know. Or you could've texted me that I forgot it and I would've-"

"Can you just say thank you and take the dress?"

"I already said thank you but wouldn't mind saying it again. Thank you, Jake. Really."

"You're welcome, Emery." He smiles. "Really."

--- --- --- --- --- ---

My heart can't take this. I love them too much.