Chapter 45

Emery's POV

Don't really know what to do today. Andrea and Ally left for their escape room and all I've done is lie in bed. Maybe just walk around town? Yeah, see some more things before we have to go back home. 

I get out of bed and change into yoga pants and a Star Wars t-shirt. Keep it plain and simple. I take the elevator down to the main floor, which is surprisingly empty, and head out the doors. Where should I even go? There's so much to see. I did like the streets near the restaurant though. It was pretty. 

I make my way toward the street when I hear a voice I recognize. Is it? I slightly turn my head to the left and see him. With- Is that the waitress? Omg, it is! What the hell is he doing with her? I thought we shared a moment yesterday but maybe it was just me. Okay... I'll just ehm... Walk away. Yeah, forget about them. 

"Emery?" I turn to find one of my classmates and of course Jake heard. 

"Hi, Sophie." I say awkwardly knowing that he's watching and probably listening. "What are you up to?"

"On my way to meet Jason, I think he likes me." She smiles. I smile back and wave goodbye to her. Now I'm standing directly in front of Jake. It'd be rude to just turn back right? I have to at least say hi.

"Hi, Jake and ehm..." Shit, what was her name? I just smile it off.

"Hi. What are you doing here?" He asks, looking directly into my eyes.

"Well, Andrea and Ally are doing their escape room now so I thought 'Why not explore some more?'" I let out an awkward chuckle. "What are you two doing?"

"We, ehm... We're just walking around." He answers and looks away. 'We're just walking around' my ass. He's lying.

"Is that- Flowers?" I ask her.

"Yeah, he got them for me." She smiles at him.

Did he buy flowers for her? Ouch...

"Is this a date?" I ask, voice clearly shaking.

"Yes, am I lucky or what?" She laughs.

"Yeah, very lucky." I look at him but he can't even look me in my eyes. "Well, I actually have to get going. Someone is waiting for me." I smile. If he dates, so can I.

"Someones waiting for you? Who?" He asks crossing his arms.

"Antonio." I say back.

"Oh, Antonio! He's so sweet. And he's a great colleague. I really think you would be a perfect couple." She jumps with joy. Boy, where does she get her energy from? "Don't you think so Jake?"

"Whatever, let's go." He leaves with her behind him. I do catch him clench his jaw before he leaves. He can't be mad at me. He started it.

I make my way to the restaurant. I know I said it as a joke but maybe I could have fun with Antonio. He does seem like a great guy. 

When I'm there I open the doors to find a pretty empty restaurant. I approach a worker there and ask if Antonio is here. He said that he'll go to the kitchen and check so I'm just standing here. About three minutes later they both come out and Antonio looks surprised to see me. 

"Hi, it's me, Emery."

"Yeah, I remember you. You wanted me to 'put my number' in your phone." He laughs.

"Yeah... Sorry about that but I was actually wondering if you wanted to go around the city with me? Doesn't really look like you have a lot to do." I point to the empty chairs and laugh.

"My shift ends in thirty minutes. Think you can wait? You can have some gelato, on the house." He winks. I laugh and thank him before sitting down.

Looking around the restaurant I see so many things I didn't the first time. There are pictures of different couples through different periods of time and the guys are proposing to their girlfriends. Antonio walks in with gelato in his hand and points to the pictures. "Beautiful, isn't it?"

"Yeah, and what is it exactly?"

"My family. Well, to be more precise, generations of my family. Each man has proposed to their girlfriend at the exact same spot. And every time someone is there to take their picture, and they end up on this wall." He points to a specific picture. "That's my parents and that one-" he points to the one before his parents "that's my grandmother and grandfather." 

He smiles as he looks at them, I do too. It's a really nice tradition to do this, I wish I had something like this at home.

"Antiono!" We hear someone call from the kitchen.

"Sorry, but I have to go. I'll be right back, there's not a lot to do so I think I'll be off soon." He says and goes to the kitchen.

I sit and eat my gelato as I watch people walk out of the restaurant. Only a few enter but two people especially catches my eye. 

"No way! Hi, Emery!" The waitress says and hugs me. I didn't know that we were on the hug scale of friendship but okay. 

I look over her shoulder and see Jake glare at me. 

A few seconds later Antonio appears from the kitchen. "Martina! What are you doing here?" He says and hugs her. 

"Papá needed help with something." Wait, are they related? It would make sense, it is a family restaurant.

"Oh, okay. Who's this?" He asks and looks over to Jake. 

"Hi, I'm Jake." He says and they shake hands. 

"I'm, Antonio." He turns to me. "Ready?"  I nod and smile. "Great, I'll just say goodbye and then we can leave."

"Oh, I'll come too. Papá is probably in there." Martina says and they disappear into the kitchen. 

As soon as they're gone Jake grabs my arm and turns me to him. "What the fuck, Emery?" 

"Excuse me?"

"Who is he? And why the fuck did he ask if you were ready?"

"His name is Antonio and he asked me if I was ready because we're heading out. It's not really that hard to puzzle the pieces together." Where did I get this attitude from? 

He says nothing, just stares at me. "What?" I ask, frustrated that he isn't saying anything. 

"I want you back shortie." 

--- --- --- --- --- ---

Whoa. Heh. 

Thoughts?