Chapter 71

Emery's POV

"You didn't let me finish!-"

"No! Zed's son?! Again?! Why?! Out of all men out there you chose the son of an idiot-"

"Dad! Wh- Mom, some help here would be nice."

"I'm sorry honey but I have my doubts too. I remember how he treated you towards the end of your relationship, you were a wreck."

"I was a teenager! I'm a grown woman now, I know better than to go back to that phase of my life. He's not like he was, believe me, he's not."

"But what happened? Don't you love Michael anymore?"

I can't tell them what happened. If I say that he cheated on me they'll be furious, dad will most likely kill him. And why don't they treat me like I'm a grown-up? I get that I'll always be their daughter and so on, but it's my life. I think I know best when it comes to my life.

"Look, Michael and I were good together, I know that. But we fell out of love, do you want me to be with someone I don't love? Haven't you ever fallen out of love before?"

They look at each other, then mom looks back at me. "I... I know what it feels like to think you love someone, to think you're going to spend your entire life with them. I do, I had that someone too."

"And what happened?" I ask.

"You father happened." She smiles. 

"And was grandma happy about that?"

"God no! She told me that I had no future with a man like your father, that- Oh... She acted like we're doing now." She said to dad.

"Tess, it's Zed's son."

"Hardin, come on... Look at her, she's happy."

I am, I really am. I look at dad, "Look, I'm not asking you to be best friends but if you could just get along? Dad, please. I love him."

"You love him? Really love him?"

"I really love him."

He sighs and leans back, closing his eyes. "I don't like the boy. But... He makes my daughter happy, that's the important thing."

My heart's beating so fast. "So you accept him?"

"Would I rather you date literally anybody else? Yes. But I suppose I could get to know him."

"'Could' get to know him? You have to, he'll probably be around often." Mom laughs.

Shit. Forgot the part where I move out.

Laughing awkwardly and taking a deep breath, I clear my throat, "Yes... About that. Ehm... He won't actually be over so often, so you don't have to see him all the time." I see the confused look on both their faces. "He asked me to move in with him."

Silence. 

Awkwardness. 

Staring faces that won't blink.

"Move in together? Like living together?" Mom asks.

"Sharing a bed?" Dad chimes in.

"Yepp. That ehm... We'll be doing that yes."

"I-"

"Hardin, honey-" Mom cuts him off. "Why don't you go to the store and get some things for dinner?" 

"Wh- Now?! I'm not done here-"

"Yes, now! Go, I left the car keys on the kitchen table. Drive safely." 

He leans closer to her. "Tessa. I'd really like to stay-" 

"Grocery store. Now."

He looks away and gets up. "Fine."

"I love you."

He sighs, "I love you."

We wait in silence until he's out of the house. 

"Mom, I really love him-"

"Emery you don't have to explain anything. You're a grown woman, it's your life. Our thoughts shouldn't affect your decisions. If you love him, you love him. Nothing we do as parents will change that. Believe me, I know." She laughs.

"So you're okay with everything?"

"It'll get some getting used to, but after some time it shouldn't be a problem. I do like him too, and I do believe you when you say that he's nothing like he was in high school. Your father was... Different in college, he's definitely not the same man as then."

I let out a long breath I didn't realize I was holding in. "Thank you, for understanding. I actually can't wait to move in with him."

"Then I can't wait either." She smiles.

* * *

Jake's POV

Where the fuck are the carrots? I've been looking for two minutes, they should be here. Right here, between the lettuce and the cucumber. Why isn't-

"Jake?" I turn to my right. Is that...?

"Hardi- Mr. Scott?"

"Please, call me Hardin." He doesn't look too pleased saying that. "You are moving in with my daughter after all."

Oh, he knows. Great, thanks for the heads up, Emery.

I clear my throat, "Yeah, I am." He's just looking at me. "Is that- Is that okay with you?"

"If I said no, would you break up with her?"

"No. Nothing will make me let her go now. I love her Hardin, more than anything. I'm just an idiot for not seeing that earlier."

"Look at that, something we agree on. You're an idiot." He chuckles. 

I smile, relaxing my muscles. At least he doesn't hate my guts. "So. Grocery shopping?" I ask.

"What else would I be doing in the grocery store?"

"Right." I nervously laugh.

"Calm down, Jake. I'm just kidding." He looks at me for a few seconds, studying me. "Promise me one thing."

"Anything."

"Don't you ever hurt her, understood? She may be her own woman now, but she's still my daughter."

"Hurt her? I'd rather die than have anything bad happen to her. I'll make her happy, make her laugh, smile, travel with her, cook for her, take care of her when she's sick, and build the best possible future with her. That I promise you." 

He smiles. "You're a good kid. Too bad you have a wanker for a dad."

That makes me laugh. "There's another thing we agree on." 

"You'll be good for her." He reaches out his hand, "Welcome to the family."

I smile and shake it. "Thank you."

* * *

Emery's POV

I'm lying on the couch when my phone suddenly lights up.

Jake: So, just met your dad

Me: What? Where? 

Jake: Grocery store

Me: Oh, right. Well, did you say anything to each other?

Jake: Apparently he knew about the move

Me: Oh, hehe. Yeah, told him just before he left... Btw my dad knows about us moving in together

Jake: Gee, thanks for the heads up, hahah

Me: Sorry. But how did it go? Did he yell?

Jake: No, I expected him too though. He actually welcomed me to the family, we smiled and laughed together

Me: He what?! How? You sure it was my dad?

Jake: Yes, I'm sure. It's hard to talk over messages, can you come over?

Me: I guess, I can be there in 20 minutes

Jake: Good, bring a change of clothes and your toothbrush

--- --- --- --- --- ---

Getting closer and closer to the end. It's actually kind of sad...