Chapter 33

When it was time for meals in the household, they would often distribute their chores. That particular day, Hanako and Hikari were in charge of the cooking. Thoughts of the meeting she overheard that morning were still eating at Hikari's consciousness, and she didn't know how to look at her younger sister. The reason they hadn't—or rather couldn't—go back home was because she wouldn't survive the trip.

Clumsiness had taken over her actions as a plate fell from her hands for the fourth time that evening. With tired sighs, it was Hanako who cleaned all of her messes. "Tomorrow, we don't have any choice but to buy some new plates for Madara. They do have a lot of plates here, but we still have to replenish those you broke," she announced with a mocking grin. Silence followed, making Hanako look up at her sister. Hikari seemed to be in a trance, her mind somewhere else but at the task at hand. "What are you thinking about, sis?"

Flinching, the girl returned to reality and remembered she had to peel the boiled eggs. "Oh... I just..." She let out a breath. "You don't have to wait for me anymore..." She turned away from Hanako, focusing once again on the eggs.

Raising her eyebrows, Hanako crossed her arms in front of her chest. "What are you talking about? I need the eggs peeled, and you're slowing me down. Dinner was supposed to be ready ten minutes ago."

Hikari clenched her fists. "That's not what I meant."

"Then what is it?" The first egg was peeled and Hanako took it from her and cut it in halves, placing one on each of the plates.

"Go home without me."

Hanako was frozen in place. The sound of Hikari peeling the second egg was the only thing that could be heard. She put the egg in front of Hanako, right next to her knife, but she didn't move. Picking up the next egg, she proceeded to peel.

Without care, Hanako brought the knife over the second egg. The two halves fell to either side. Hikari widened her eyes at her sister. "I'm not leaving you here," she said. "We will leave together, the four of us. Period."

"Hanako, I'm going to die anyway. Just leave me here and go, it's easier than having to face our aunt."

"Even if I leave, she's going to come after me." Hanako glared at her sister. "I'm not going to repeat myself. You're coming. Even if I have to kill Kira with my own hands, you'll be fine."

"A month seems like no time at all," Hikari sighed. Tears threatened to fall down her face as she started peeling the last egg. Her sister took it from her hands and stared at her with firm eyes.

"Call everyone. Dinner is ready."

Hikari felt her lip tremble. "Hanako–" Her voice broke. The girl turned her back on her and proceeded to peel the egg.

"I told you. You're not going to die, sis, so stop thinking about it." Hikari couldn't have been more thankful to hear those words from her sister. "And even if you die, I will go to wherever your soul is and bring you back with us."

The older Uchiha was speechless. Hanako cut the egg and put each on a plate before taking two plates and going to the table. "Help me bring the food."

A smile lit up her face as she went to pick up two other plates, when suddenly a knot built up in her throat. She stopped just in time as a coughing fit took over. She tried to muffle the sounds with her hand, but froze when she pulled away. There were tiny little drops of blood sprayed over her palm.

"Still in thought?" Hanako walked into the room and looked at her with an eyebrow raised. "What else do you need me to say to comfort you?"

Hiding her hand behind her, she smiled. "Nothing, I'm coming." After cleaning her hands, she picked two plates and continued to serve the food.