Chapter 41

Akagahara was closed off to the public and was far away from the populated areas of the village. The metal fence had a caution sign and an electrification warning.

"We can't jump the fence..." Hanako sighed.

"Thanks for pointing out the obvious," Tanaka huffed. "I have the key."

Hanako looked at him and then at the door below the sign. "So the door is not electrified?"

"Not if it's unlocked."

"And, if the key is made of metal and the door is also electrified, won't you get shocked?"

Tanaka stopped his movements and looked at her. "How old are you again?"

"Twelve."

He raised an eyebrow. "You think? Sounds to me, you're like five," he taunted with a smirk.

Hanako took a deep breath. "I'm just here trying to act like a concerned partner but, by all means," she pointed at the metal door, "please go ahead and fry yourself to death."

With a soft chuckle, Tanaka lead the way towards the entrance to the training ground. As soon as the door was open, Hanako touched the fence. A pair of eyes were burning through her skull. Tanaka had a frown on his face as he focused on her hand. She laughed nervously. "You're right, when the door is open, there's no way to get shocked."

"Only the door is supposed to be free of electricity," Tanaka's eyes were still glued to the fence. "I understand now, how they got in."

"So, it's not working?"

"Not as it should." He sighed loudly, stepping into the area. As soon as she walked in behind him, a spark of chakra made her turn in reflex. Tanaka noticed. "What?"

"I sensed someone. 400 meters, 2 o'clock."

"Let's go."

* * *

"Shit-shit-shit-shit..." Hyori ran around the trees. A giant spider slithered behind her, its eight tails impulsing its speed. "THIS IS SO DISGUSTING!"

"Come on! It's just an itsy-bitsy spider!" Takeshi laughed as he ran beside her. "Whoa," he jumped just as the spider had launched a ball of spider web towards him.

"It wants to eat us!" Hyori screeched. "Why did you guys want to come here?!"

"We wanted to escalate our training!" Takeshi jumped towards the spider and forged hand signs. "Wind Style! Wind Scythe!" he inflated his cheeks and blew wind in the form of curved knives that cut the spider's legs off. "All yours Kazuki!"

The third teammate had been silent until he turned to the defenseless spider. "Water Style, Water Whip!" Water gathered at the palms of his hands, forming into a long rope he used to tie the spider.

The spider screeched and released a ton of spider web. Hyori panicked and formed a sign. Wood formed around them like a shell, protecting them from the web. The trio was left in the dark inside the shell, in silence, until one of them laughed.

"That was fun."

"What do you mean fun? You call being spider food, fun?" A female voice responded abruptly.

"Well, it did not eat us." The other replied calmly. "Though, I wouldn't be mad if it ate Takeshi."

"HEY!"

The wood fell apart and Hyori grunted. "Why am I even here? Couldn't you have asked someone else? Like Hanako? Isn't she your best friend?"

"Was." Takeshi replied sternly. "You're our new best friend, Hyori, you should switch to our team."