Chapter 5

Itachi and Sasuke followed their father to the meeting room in their house. There Fugaku sat, gesturing his children to sit before him.

"You are my son, indeed." Fugaku chuckled. "Only half a year after raising your status to Chuunin, you've come this far." Itachi looked at his father with no expression in his face. Lately, Fugaku had been focusing too much in his improvements, and he still expected even more. "I heard you can take someone for tomorrow's special mission. I've decided to come along." Itachi widened his eyes. He even knew that?

Itachi looked at his little brother from the tip of his eyes when he felt him flinch. "If this mission succeeds, Itachi, your enrollment into Anbu will almost be guaranteed." Itachi looked at his father at the moment Fugaku activated his Sharingan. "Do you understand?"

"I already decided I wanted Shisui to come. You don't have to worry so much. Besides..." Itachi looked at Sasuke with a smile, encouraging him to speak.

Sasuke nodded slightly. "Um... Dad... Tomorrow is my–"

"Tomorrow's mission is not only for you, but also a very important mission for the Uchiha Clan." Fugaku interrupted him. Sasuke looked at the floor with a saddened expression.

"I guess I'll refuse tomorrow's mission after all..." Itachi suddenly said, making Fugaku and Sasuke look at him with wide and almost terrified eyes.

"What are you saying?! Have you lost your mind?!" Fugaku snapped at him. "You should know how important tomorrow is!"

"You're right. Tomorrow is Sasuke's Academy Entrance Ceremony, and I have to go." Itachi smirked when his father's eyes widened in surprise. He had clearly forgotten about it. "It's customary for relatives to go. You received a notification about that as well, didn't you, Father?"

Fugaku sighed tiredly and stood up. "I understand. I'll go to the Academy."

Without anything else to say, his father left the room. His two sons followed after him, Itachi turned to look at Sasuke while they were walking in the hallway, "Make sure to put ice on your left ankle."

"Okay..." Sasuke was still a bit down, but Itachi hoped he would still have the same excitement for tomorrow.

* * *

Night had fallen when Itachi sneaked out of his house and went to the waterfalls at the border of the compound with the vast forest of the Land of Fire. There, he saw Shisui sitting at the edge of the cliff. He was staring into nothingness, probably lost in his thoughts.

"Shisui..."

The older Uchiha turned to him. He smiled softly upon recognizing him, "Hey there, Itachi..." Shisui focused back on the flowing water of the river. "I'm sorry, I guess I had too much in my mind. Is there anything you need?"

Itachi sat next to him. "I have an important mission tomorrow, and I was wondering if you could come with me. I know you just came back from a mission, but I really need your help."

Shisui smiled at the boy. He liked it when Itachi asked for help, he liked it when he didn't shoulder everything by himself and depended on others. "Of course, anything for you."

Itachi smiled slightly.

"What's the mission?"

"I'll give you the details before we leave in the morning, but for now it's just an escort. We have to take the daughter of the Feudal Lord to the Water Country." Shisui nodded.

The sky was clear that night, and Shisui smiled when he found the first star. "You know, Itachi. I think of you as my little brother." He chuckled softly when he felt Itachi's gaze on him. "Hikari said that there shouldn't be any secrets within a brotherly bond. I mean, she and Hanako share everything," he muttered while scratching the back of his neck. "My point is," he cleared his voice, "if there's anything bothering you—maybe your father, or the clan in general—you know you can always tell me. Whenever. I'm here for you."