Chapter 6

Hanako headed towards the Academy. There were a lot of families gathered, speaking with each other. She became nostalgic, the sight reminded her of her own first day. A boy with short dark hair caught her attention. Sasuke was standing with his father, as Fugaku spoke to a teacher. The ceremony hadn't begun yet.

When the leader of the Uchiha caught her glance, he saluted her with a nod. She bowed back with respect and smiled at Sasuke, who happily waved at her. He didn't leave his father side, it was almost time for the ceremony to begin.

Looking around, Hanako noticed a small blond kid sitting alone in the swing in front of the Academy's entrance. She smiled and decided to walk towards him.

"Hey, are you all right?" Hanako asked with a small smile. The boy looked up at her for a second before looking back down. "Why are you all alone over here? Aren't you a new student?" He shook his head.

"To be enrolled into school, we have to be escorted by a relative." Hanako nodded.

"And where are your parents?"

The boy looked up at her. Hanako felt her stomach fall at the empty and sad look in his eyes. "I don't have any. I'm alone." Hanako frowned sadly and looked at the line of people. Kids waiting in line to say hi to their new teachers, while holding tightly into their parents' hands.

The Uchiha could feel a knot in her throat when she turned back to the blond, he was staring at the Academy with yearning eyes.

"What's your name?" She smiled slightly when he looked at her curiously.

"Naruto Uzumaki..." he responded hesitantly. Hanako's smiled grew when an idea popped in her mind. She would make this boy smile.

"So..." She pointed at the line of people. "You want to be a ninja?"

Naruto stared at her. His blue eyes traced her figure from top to bottom. Looking back up, they lingered on the metal plate over her forehead. His eyes widened. "You are a ninja?" Hanako nodded. "Yes! I want to be a ninja!" He looked back at the Academy again and his smile fell. "But... I can't get into the Academy."

"Well, Naruto," she extended her hand in his way. Naruto looked at the hand and then at her. "The ceremony is about to begin. We should get in line."

"What?" Naruto's blue eyes widened again. "But you're not my relative..."

Hanako smirked and kneeled to his level. She spoke softly. "But they don't know that, do they? They only need someone to sign your papers."

"You really would do that for me?" His eyes gleamed as he jumped off the swing. Hanako smiled and patted her shoulder.

"Hop on."

Naruto got onto her back happily, "Hey," he asked. "What's your name, sister?"

"Call me Hanako."

Sasuke was still standing with his father, but he had wanted to go say hi to the girl. He had taken a liking to her since she was like his brother. It didn't appear so, but he figured Hanako had to be a good shinobi if she hung with Shisui and his brother.

He found Hanako talking to the lonely boy in the swing. "Dad," Fugaku looked at him. "Who's that boy Hanako is talking to?"

Fugaku's eyes found the girl and his eyes widened when he recognized the boy with the demon fox inside him. He pressed his lips into a thin line. He forgot to answer Sasuke's question. The kid was becoming impatient. "Dad?"

Fugaku looked at his son again and smiled slightly. "Probably one of her friends. You should ask her."

Sasuke looked again at Hanako as she walked to stand in line with the boy in her back. "One of her friends?"